G'Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 19th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route so far...


Hi guys,

Been a long time! We are in Melbourne at the moment and settled in nicely (only for a few more weeks though). Since our last entry we travelled though Malaysia, visiting Kuala Lumpur and Penang where we met Gemma's Dad and uncle and their friends on holiday. A quick stop in Singapore and a few days in Perth before arriving here in Melbourne.

KL is a fast developing, vibrant city, the country has large Indian and Chinese populations so it makes for an interesting cultural mix. Of course one of the most famous landmarks are the Petronas Towers (below), they are spectacular, a wonderful combination of engineering and art. We spent a few days exploring the city (which is enough) and the shops (there is a shopping centre on every street almost!) We spent a day in KL's Times Square, which is a shopping centre with its own indoor amusement park complete with roller coaster (scared the cr*p out of me!)

Took an overnight train and ferry to travel up to the island of Penang where we met Gemma's Dad, uncle and friends. We had a fantastic time there, it was great to see them after
Fullerton Hotel - SingaporeFullerton Hotel - SingaporeFullerton Hotel - Singapore

Stayed here honest!!
so long and thanks guys for a great week!!

From there we flew to Singapore for a few nights which was a bit of a shock to the system after the rest of Asia. It's very expensive and developed compared with some cities in the region. Its colonial history is still very evident in the buildings, have a look at the beautiful Fullerton Hotel below (thats me standing in the middle of the bridge if you can make me out!)

From there we flew to Perth where we met up with a guy from Freemantle who we met in Prague earlier in the year. It was nice to have some one to show us around for a bit!

We arrived in Melbourne before Christmas and the work hunt began. Thankfully we both found work and got settled after the Christmas break. Melbourne is a cool city especially for a sports nut such as myself. There has been so much going on, so far we have made it to the Australian Open tennis (see pic), Commonwealth Games, Grand Prix and a few footy games!

We have travelled around Victoria as well, Wilsons Promontory is a national park
Australian OpenAustralian OpenAustralian Open

Great day out
a few hours from the city and it is a magnificent and serene place. The picture below is of Gemma at Tidal River, one of the beaches on the Prom.

Got over to Tasamania recently which was great, it was raining which was a bit of a dissapointment but it didn't take too much from the scenery. Its got a beautiful coastline, lots of beaches and rolling hills - bit cold at this time of year though. I think thats about it for now, hope you are all keeping well and keep in touch.

Until next time....

Colin & Gemma


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tidal RiverTidal River
Tidal River

Yet another magnificent beach!
TasmaniaTasmania
Tasmania

Gemma getting friendly with the local wildlife!


14th July 2006

Stuff
Cool pic of you on the beach, you should frame that one in landscape format. You guys look tanned and healthy. Would love to have gone to the Australian Open - big tennis fan me. Happy travellin xxx

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb