Formula One Grand Prix


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
March 29th 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One of the first people that I met in Melbourne was an English guy name Alex. Alex left to travel around Australia and recently returned to Melbourne, which worked in my favour as I was searching for someone to go the the Australian Grand Prix with. With little convincing Alex was in and on Sunday we were at my place with the television on watching the commentators talk about the races. We got excited and realized we should hurry down to Albert Park, which is just a short tram ride.

We arrived at Albert Park at about 1 O'clock, just in time to watch the Mini Coopers racing around the track. The clouds were grey above and felt like they would dump rain at any moment, but it only rained a few minutes throughout the day. We caught up with Alex's friends, two German girls who happened to be big race fans, and watched the V8 Supercars and the Ferrari, Porsche circuit. We walked around Albert Park watching the big screens, talking racing, watching the race fans and just taking in the atmosphere.

It was nearing the 5 O'clock start time and we found ourselves with a few English friends of Alex on turn 15, directly on the other side to where our tickets where for (on turn 4). Throughout the afternoon there were airshows involving old planes, a Qantas demonstration and a jet that was so loud and fast it was hard to believe. It shot straight up into the air and in only a couple seconds it was nearly out of sight. Even John Travolta was on the big screen for an interview before the race.

Just before race time the rains finally started, the pit crews began changing tires. It was a light rain when the F1 cars took off from the start line and in turn 1 there was a 3 car crash. Once a few laps got going the Red Bull car drove by the German Vettel was in the lead and kept the lead for quite awhile. Being on turn 15 was exciting, you could here these cars coming speeding into the corner, then braking then speeding out of the corner. As the race progressed, the more aggressive the drivers went into the corner.

It was a strange day as the leader Vettel went into the wall after 15 or 20 laps, and I think 6 cars or more didn't finish the race. Button, an English driver for one of the Vodafone cars, lead the most of the race and won by a very large margin. Hamilton was the most exciting to watch as he would brake very late into the turn, his front tires sliding across the slick track while the brakes glow red, then shotgun out of the turn gaining ground on the car in front. The natural light was fading and Button's lead was growing by the time the checkered flag was being waved. Once the cars were off the track the crowd was welcome to gather on the track. I wandered around the track and down to pit row, which was all fenced off. It was really neat to walk the track that only minutes ago these F1 cars were speeding on.

Following the impromptu track tour we walked down to the main stage to catch some live music. The Simple Minds were the main event. It started raining again, the band was playing and I started my trip home. That was enough of screaming engines, the smell of burning fuel, rain and mediocre music (though they did do a cover of Van Morrison's “Gloria”). The air was fresh and cool, my ears were ringing, I decided to take things slow and walk most of the way home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb