ROAD TRIP TIME!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 4th 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

TWO awesome road trips back to back.

Phillips Island.
South of Melbourne there is a magical little island which not only houses cutey Koalas and rather shy seals.. but THOUSANDS of penguins!!!
Caeli and I set off at 10am sharp(ish) and arrived on phillip island just after midday. We headed out to a historical mini island just off the main island there was some kind of farm yard with loads (heaps) of farm yard animals milling around and some spooky old house.. headed off there sharpish to see some more Koalas!!! they seriously get cuter everytime you see them!!

Next stop 'surfers beach' where we had a brilliantly refreshing swim.. although not as freezing as we were expecting!

Head to 'nobbies' point to sight some seals- the only free entry sitre and the reasons why were clear- no seals. My reasoning was because it was 5.30ish (British dinner time) the seals were out catching theirs...

So we admired the view and then headed to get our own dinner.. and if you want value for your money and so much food its bordering on obscene.. head to cowes.. north phillip island.. a 'chicken burger' translates as a double and chips to 'share' is literally a crate to feed a family of 5 or 6.

We then headed across to the penguin site, where we went to sit by the beach as the sun set at 9pm we watched hundreds and i mean HUNDREDS of little penguin waddle in. the sweetest thing ever, little white blobs waddling from the sea right to us where they preened themselves for ten mins then waddled back to there burrows where their chicks were waiting!! it was amazing!!! shame no photos allowed.. but we were warned to check UNDER OUR CARS for them.. Caeli and I agreed if one was waiting there under her car it was more than fate and that little penguin was coming back to Melbourne! but alas.. we returned alone!

Six hours sleep later I arose at the crack of dawn and headed off on my second road trip! the Great Ocean Road. Saw the sites, famous surf beach- Bells, Apollo Bay, London Bridge, and 12 Apostles. Great day and perrrfect weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tashs 157Tashs 157
Tashs 157

Koalas on Phillip island
Tashs 160Tashs 160
Tashs 160

Surfers beach
Tashs 161Tashs 161
Tashs 161

Nobbies Point. Home to hundreds of seals... look closely
Tashs 164Tashs 164
Tashs 164

Beach at Cowes
Tashs 165Tashs 165
Tashs 165

Great Ocean Road
Tashs 166Tashs 166
Tashs 166

Bells Beach
Tashs 167Tashs 167
Tashs 167

Great Ocean Road Memorial
Tashs 168Tashs 168
Tashs 168

Memorial
Tashs 169Tashs 169
Tashs 169

Apollos Bay- where out of tour of 17 only me and a fellow Brit went in the sea!
Tashs 170Tashs 170
Tashs 170

Koala!


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb