Back at Monbulk


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

SealBaySealBaySealBay

Up close and personal with the Sea lions at Seal Bay, KI
16 March
Seal Bay - the resident Australian Sea Lions - wonderful. We were right on the beach with them. (in fact we couldn’t get back as a sea lion had decided to climb the steps, thus stopping us returning!) We spent a couple of hours there (the poor coach tour that came along whilst we were there only had about 20 minutes, they don’t know what hey missed)
We spent the night in what must be the worst campsite on K.I. if not Australia (if not the world!) Not a flat bit in sight, rocks everywhere, unusable portaloo, no water or any other facilities - and we were fleeced $20 for the privilege. If you go there Flour Cask Bay Sanctuary - avoid like the plague.
17 March
Penneshaw - nice town, where the ferry goes from. We wandered the penguin colony but they were all out! We had lu nch then caught the ferry back to the mainland and back to Oakbank and Greg and & Trish as we had left stuff behind (as usual!)Great BBQ and free night!

18-21 March
Heading east, back to Victoria. Stopped at Mt Gambier and had a wander around the volcanic craters
Biglobster 1Biglobster 1Biglobster 1

This lobster is up for sale (along with the accompanying restaurant) - interested?
(the blue lake was as blue as the Infanta’s eyes!)
We decided to take the pretty route via the Great Ocean Road. As true tourists, we stopped at every lookout and parking area and followed the well trodden routes to the photo points. Nothing much has changed in the last 20 years, except for the number of tourists! Saw lots of koalas, but not in a position where you could photograph them.
Camped en route at Portland; Warranambul and Apollo Bay. It seems like the whole of Victoria has taken up camping. It was getting like an old people’s home on wheels.
22 March
Now back at Monbulk and the friendly faces of Debs & Ian. Glad to say that we came all the way back without having to encounter any of the bush fire damaged areas.
This is the end of the trip and the end of the blog. We will be back later in the year, God willing, to see all the bits we missed this time (like Darwin, Perth etc). See you then!

Margaret & Barry




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

BlueLakeBlueLake
BlueLake

The Blue Lake at Mt Gambier
GreatOceanRoadGreatOceanRoad
GreatOceanRoad

Us being tourists at the start of the Great Ocean Road
ApostlesApostles
Apostles

The 12 apostles (actually there are only about 8 left)
PortFairy BoatsPortFairy Boats
PortFairy Boats

Never far from boats - at Port Fairy
ApolloBayApolloBay
ApolloBay

These people were doing martial arts in the sea!!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb