Bush fires & Huck update.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 8th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post



Well, here he is. We picked him up on Friday and he had grown a huge amount even in just the last week.

So far he has been great. He was brilliant on the way home, (an hour drive). He was a little anxious at first but then stretched out and stuck his head on the aircon vent and slept the whole way. We got home and threw his towel into the crate. He had a good sniff round the kitchen, and then plopped into his crate. We coaxed him out with toys the he’d take them from you and to his bed in the crate. After about 6 in-outs we closed the door and left him for a while. He was fine for about 15 minutes, and then whimpered a little. When he was quiet we opened the door and he mooched out 10 minutes later for another explore. He was understandably quiet, but ate and drank a little.

He perked up about 8pm and had a good play for 20 mins, wagging his tail all over. He had some more water and took himself off to bed about 9pm. We shut the crate door around 12 and went to bed and he woke us up at 5:20 the next morning.

He has a great temperament. We had unexpected visitors yesterday and he barely raised an eyebrow. We left him alone for a few hours yesterday morning, he cried for about 30 secs as we left then was quiet. When we got back he was pleased to see us, but not at all boisterous. He calmly greeted us with a wagging tail and a cuddle before collapsing by our sofa and going back to sleep.

Yesterday was the hottest day in Melbourne's history. It was 46.4 in Melbourne and hit almost 49 in rural Victoria. We were all shockingly hot in the house, and Huck just slept all afternoon. It was just too hot for him.

We went to a place called Marysville a few months back, it was a beautiful spot in the Victorian Alps about a two hour drive from here. I posted some pics of the waterfall there in an earlier blog. The whole town has been destroyed by fire, and another picturesque town called Kings Lake. The fire have been the worst in Melbourne's history. The photos of Marysville are shocking - it looks like it has been nuked. There is nothing left. It's surreal to think that we were there not so long ago and it was a bustling tourist town. Parts of Bendigo have also been destroyed by fire and even Narre Warren, which is the next suburb to our new house, lost 3 house to spot fires. It's unreal at the moment. So many lives lost.

Well, I'd better go and see if he is awake. We took him to puppy school this afternoon to socialise him. He really enjoyed it, but was shattered by the time we came away.

Will keep you posted with new pics......

Tony & Emma.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb