Hi,from Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
January 8th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne from 360 degreesMelbourne from 360 degreesMelbourne from 360 degrees

Looking east from the top of Rialto Building
Hi everyone
We have had a good time in Melbourne. A quiet Xmas and New Year, but we have avoided the enormous crowds at the beaches around here. It was a good choice to stay here, as there are many things to do. We have caught the bus to the city many times now, ridden the trams and ferries, and visited most of the attractions. We have also taken quite a few day trips out of the city. One , to the Mornington Peninsula, on the eastern side of Port Phillip Bay to the end was so busy, people were camped all along the foreshore, and the traffic was horrendous. We were pleased we didn't go there for the Xmas break (it was booked out anyway, so we couldn't!)
Another day we drove east, and ended up at a ski resort - it had snowed there that morning. Chris found enough snow to make a snowball!
We have been to the movies twice, seen "Australia", which we enjoyed. The car went in for a service yesterday, so we spent the day at a nearby mall, got haircuts and went to the movies again, which is a rare occurance for us!
Today
Looking swLooking swLooking sw

The Telstra Dome and Southern Cross Rail Station With the curvy roof are in the photo.
we have been into the city again, went on a conducted tour of Federation Square, which was very good, went places the general public don't get to go, and looked at all the interesting architecture. (We got 2 for the price of 1 at senior discount so quite a good deal!)
We also visited the Australian Racing Museum and Hall of Fame. I especially enjoyed the clothes that had won Fashion in the fields, and the hats that were on display. Next we went on to the Australian Centre of the Moving Image, and saw film sets from the film "Australia" , and lots of info on how sets were developed , from concept sketches to building the sets, very interesting - but no photos allowed.
We have booked to go north after here to Sheppardton for 4 days, not our 1st choice of place, but most places are still booked out, so by going north it won't be so busy. After that, ?, back here the night before we go to Tasmania on the 24th Jan - 28th Feb.
We have then booked to come home to NZ. We will leave the car and van here at Ashley Gardens,
Xmas display at Crown casinoXmas display at Crown casinoXmas display at Crown casino

We sat and watched for 30 min a great Xmas lights display.
and fly home 2nd March - 30th March.
Look forward to catching up with family and friends, and will probably have a week or so at Baylys Beach.
Thanks for all the emails, phone calls and comments on the blog over Xmas / New Year. We were thinking of you all.
Cheers Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Myers window displayMyers window display
Myers window display

There were long queues here - we went day after Boxing Day to see the great Xmas window displays.
Collins MallCollins Mall
Collins Mall

More Xmas displays - they were really great to see.
Swanston StSwanston St
Swanston St

Trams, horses and carriages etc - typical scene of this city street
Yarra River  cruiseYarra River  cruise
Yarra River cruise

We went under lots of very low bridges , some with little clearance.
City from the riverCity from the river
City from the river

We went both up and down river from Federation Square.
Melbourne from the harbourMelbourne from the harbour
Melbourne from the harbour

We did another cruise from Williamston, and looked across to the city.
N Z frigates at WilliamstonN Z frigates at Williamston
N Z frigates at Williamston

We cruised past these frigates.
RAAF Museum at Point CookRAAF Museum at Point Cook
RAAF Museum at Point Cook

This is a Supermarine Seagull V / Walrus spotter reconnaissance aircraft designed by the same man who designed the Spitfire.
Upper Coliban ReservoirUpper Coliban Reservoir
Upper Coliban Reservoir

Empty! We had lunch here one day on our way to Colaraine.
SouthbankSouthbank
Southbank

This is where we went to a resturant for Chris\' birthday.
Newest attractionNewest attraction
Newest attraction

Southern Star observation wheel - we didn't go on it - it's not as high as 360 and we talked to some people getting off and none seemed very impressed! It is not very well patronised yet.
Lake Mountain ResortLake Mountain Resort
Lake Mountain Resort

About 2 hours from Melbourne, we found snow - it had snowed here that morning and Chris found enough for a snowball. A pretty drive to the east.
Entering Pt Phillip BayEntering Pt Phillip Bay
Entering Pt Phillip Bay

A container ship going through the entrance - rip and a narrow entrance makes this very dangerous.
Tunnels at Fort Nepean Tunnels at Fort Nepean
Tunnels at Fort Nepean

Mornington Peninsula, south east of Melbourne.
Mornington Peninsula gunsMornington Peninsula guns
Mornington Peninsula guns

Two sixinch gun barrels -5/8/1914 1st allied shot fired of WW1 capturing German ship , 4/9/1939 1st shot of WW2 fired as a warning -only 2 shots ever fired from Pt Phillip defences.
Harold Holt MemorialHarold Holt Memorial
Harold Holt Memorial

Cheviot Beach on the southern side of the Mornington Peninsula, PM of Australia dissapeared here while swimming 17/12/67.
Cheviot BeachCheviot Beach
Cheviot Beach

Very rocky and exposed beach
Queen Victoria MarketsQueen Victoria Markets
Queen Victoria Markets

We visited these very good markets, and we both got new jerseys - it's so cool we need them!
Fire fighting HelicopterFire fighting Helicopter
Fire fighting Helicopter

At Essington Airport we saw lots of interesting planes, air ambulances, police helicopters, etc. This helicopter had a hose to suck up water from sea or ponds. Our car was serviced near here yrsterday.
Federation SquareFederation Square
Federation Square

Very interesting architecture.
AtriumAtrium
Atrium

At Federation Square, lots of triangular shapes in all the walls and windows.


9th January 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Hi Lyn and Chris. Great pictures and trip notes. We also saw Australia (the movie) over the break and enjoyed it. We certainly don't need jerseys here at present - great swimming weather! Not a good time to go back to work. Have fun. Coralie and Graham R.
9th January 2009

Great to here from you, it's warm here if you are out of the wind! I guess Tasmania will be even cooler. Hope you had a good break. Cheers lynne and Chris
10th January 2009

new baby
happy new year Ours has started off beautifully. We have a new granddaughter. Rachel gave birth to Madeleine Ruby on 6th January. Ruby was my mothers name. She is just gorgeous

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb