A day at the Cricket


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 27th 2008
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we packed up in the Grampians and took the short drive to Melbourne. We hadn’t booked a site so struggled to find one. There didn’t seem to be many close to the city centre so after driving around for a while decided to take the first one we had seen which wasn’t great, was quite expensive but at least close to the centre.

It was a bit commercialised for us, with all the camping sites marked out and your own parking spot with lines painted next to the tent, unfortunately the only one left was next to the toilets. It was at least fairly quiet, the loos were really quite posh and it served the purpose. The only problem I had was that the lights were on 24 hours a day so it was like sleeping in some high street.

We also weren’t allowed to light a real fire so had to cook on the gas barbecue. And it’s not the same sitting round a tin box.

The next morning we set off for Melbourne Cricket ground as we had bought tickets for the South African/Australia 5 day test.

We felt a bit conspicuous in our South African t-shirts and hats. We also had a flag but kept that in the bag for the time being. It was a very hot day so we kept moving to keep in the shade.

The game was pretty good from our point of view but the Aussies were a bit subdued because they weren’t doing very well at all. After a short while we felt confident enough to drape our flag over the chairs in front of us. We eventually went on to win the second test so were quite happy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb