Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 22nd 2008
Published: November 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Sunny Sydney to rainy Melbourne...

We have spent the last ten days in and around Melbourne and our time here has consisted of a lot of eating out, sightseeing, drinking a little too much and avoiding the rain by hibernating in our lovely hostel.

We arrived in our flip flops and shorts from sunny Sydney, where we were completely spoilt by Steve's family, to torrential rain and a dingy hostel in Melbourne (note to any potential visitors - don't ever stay at King Street Backpackers!). However despite this rather unpromising start we have loved Melbourne. We've spent loads of time wandering around the city, eating and drinking in some great bars and restaurants and going to some of the city's free festivals. The highlight for me being Melbourne's Polish festival where we ate a full polish meal at 10.30am and a Polish man offered Steve his jacket for $200. Sydney has its beaches and weather but Melbourne is a great city with a lovely atmosphere.

Our trip down the Great Ocean Road was really fun and well worth going with a tour group as we met some great characters. On the first morning of the trip the mini bus went round doing all the pick ups and on stepped three middle aged Aussie women who looked pretty unhappy to see they'd booked a trip with a bunch of "teeny boppers!"(their words). But it didn't take them long to be the liven up the group and be the highlight of the trip. The decided that Steve looked like Justin Timberlake (a lookalike he was happy to take - afterall it's better than Marty Pello). So for the duration of the trip they insisted on calling him Justin and tried to get him to dance for them.

Other than our group the highlights of the Great Ocean Road had to be watching the sunset over the 12 Apostles and seeing the penguins come in from the sea to go to sleep for the night.

We've spent the last few days in St Kilda, where the plan was to chill out on the beach, but the weather has been pretty grim so we've spent a lot of time hanging out at the nicest hostel either of us has ever stayed and going out eating and drinking. The other night we went to bar where a live band played a couple of Beatles tunes and Steve insisted on informing the singer that he was from Liverpool until the singer told the audience that there was man in the bar with 'the mersey in his blood' (the singer's words - not Steve's).

So now it's back to Sydney for some surfing in Manly....


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Polish FestivalPolish Festival
Polish Festival

$200 for the best cardie in the world
Great Ocean Road CrewGreat Ocean Road Crew
Great Ocean Road Crew

Check out the onesies
After a morning dip on the Great Ocean Road!After a morning dip on the Great Ocean Road!
After a morning dip on the Great Ocean Road!

The only people in our group stupid enough to get in the freezing cold water.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb