A few spring pics....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rye Ocean Beach 1Rye Ocean Beach 1Rye Ocean Beach 1

Trying out the new surf rod last Sunday morning.
Time for a quick update and a few pics I reckon. You'll have to excuse the quality of these ones, they are all off my phone.

Things have been pretty quiet really. We settled on our land on Friday, so it's all official now. We're waiting for the builder to come back this week with the revised plans then we can get them sent off for planning permission.

I finally got a fishing rod, something that was on the list of things to take up once we moved here. Our friends Ken & Kate, (and their new baby Jack), are keen 'fisho's' so I have been out a couple of times with Ken so learn how to actually fish. I've got all the gear, but no idea!

Emma, Marion, Kim and I went to see Bill Bailey in the city on Saturday night - very funny. It was a great atmosphere in the city. Loads of people about as it was the footy grand final. It was about 28 degrees and blue skies. Beautiful.

Sunday we went to have a look at a few boat yards. Now that I'm an expert fisherman....ahem.....we need to think about getting
Rye Ocean Beach 2Rye Ocean Beach 2Rye Ocean Beach 2

We had the whole beach to ourselves!
a boat. They are so cheap here and there are boat ramps all around the bay and in the estuaries. No shortage of places to take it within half to an hour's drive from home. Then there are the fantastic Lakes up in Gippsland where you can also take your boat. We started looking at 4.5 meter fishing boats, but the Streaker SR5000 caught my eye! Best of both worlds....plenty of room for fishing but also has a 150hp V6 engine so great for water sports. Boats are ridiculously cheap here, in fact you can get a good boat for less than a scrap second hand car!

Sunday evening we went through to Sandringham to visit Ken & Kate. Emma got her scrabble fix and Ken and I did a spot of fishing off the rocks around the marina. Lovely spot. Great way to spend a few hours in the evening. I got my first catch....a bloomin starfish. Never mind, maybe next time. Ken caught a pinkie, (a small snapper), about 8" long. We're looking forward to getting out for a dawn trip to the beach soon for some big surf fishing.

So, all-in-all, a great start to
Melbourne CityMelbourne CityMelbourne City

...at about 5pm. Sat outside having something to eat before we went to see Bill Bailey.
the spring. The weather is picking up nicely. It's still a little hit and miss here an there, but the last few days have been blue skies and sunshine and a couple of high 20 days. Bring on the 40+ again......lovely.

Catch you later,

Tone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Hanging Out.Hanging Out.
Hanging Out.

Our friends Kim & Marion who we went to see Bill Bailey with.
Dusk.Dusk.
Dusk.

View over the river towards Federation Square from the Southbank.
AFL Finals.AFL Finals.
AFL Finals.

It was the grand final of the Australian Football League. 100,000 people were at the MCG to watch. They were piling out alng hte bridge as we walked over. Great atmosphere. There was a big screen and live bankds on over at Fed Square.
Brunetti'sBrunetti's
Brunetti's

Having a quick coffee at Brunetti's on the way to the theatre.
Boat Shopping!Boat Shopping!
Boat Shopping!

Took in a few boat yards on Saturday. Lovely. We like this one - great to fish off, but also fast enough to tow water skies or a wake board. Cool.
Fishing from Sandringham.Fishing from Sandringham.
Fishing from Sandringham.

Spent a nice few hours on Sunday evening at Sandringham, fihsing off the breakwater with my mate Ken.
Ken.Ken.
Ken.

The Bay is behind the rocks behind us and the marina in front.
Marina.Marina.
Marina.

Looking back toward the Marina from the end of the rocks we were fishing from.
mini-Melbourne (026)mini-Melbourne (026)
mini-Melbourne (026)

Lovely way to spend a few hours.
MY FIRST CATCH!MY FIRST CATCH!
MY FIRST CATCH!

My first ever catch. A starfish, (considered a pest here). Ken caought a small snapper which we took home to fillet.


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb