Melbourne part 1...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having had a very relaxing and "wild" weekend in Port Fairy we headed back to Melbourne on Monday to stay with Kate. Only fitting in a city hailed as the coffee capital of Australia, our first taste of the city was just that at the Southgate Centre (a shopping mall) near to where Kate works in the city centre. The coffee was lovely (and a lot cheaper than Starbucks, Nero or any place in the UK) but we were a little distracted by the birds flying above our heads - although we were inside, they had worked out how to hover outside the sensor on the automatic doors until they opened and let them in!

Waking up to rather bleak weather on Tuesday we wrapped up warm, packed waterproof coats and umbrellas and drove an hour and a half out of the city to the Healseville Sanctuary where we could see all the native fauna in one place, albeit not in the wild. Despite the rain and the cold it was a worthwhile experience as we saw almost everything from snakes to Wedge-tailed Eagles and Koalas to Platypus and Kangeroos and Wallabies. The only thing that seemed to have the right idea and didn't brave the wet to see us was the Tazmanian Devil. It was only that evening that we learnt that it had been the coldest day of the year in Victoria so far!

Thankfully the sun came out on our final day in Melbourne (for the time being anyway) so we were able to explore the city on foot without feeling miserable and wet. We started off with a trip up the Eureka Tour - the tallest building in Melbourne - where we had amazing (if a little hazy) views of the city for miles around. We then set off on a LP walking tour of the main sights incorperating coffee and window shopping along the way and finished up with a walk along the Yarra river bank back to Kate's office for our ride "home".

Melbourne is lovely but two-and-a-half days was not enough so I guess it's lucky that we're going back there at the end of the trip for another whole week! Next stop Canberra (I just hope it doesn't rain)...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sleeping KoalaSleeping Koala
Sleeping Koala

He definately had the right idea!
An EmuAn Emu
An Emu

He would not stay still for me to take a good picture!


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb