Ho(t)... ho(t)... ho(t)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 14th 2007
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I think its only just dawned on me that xmas is only 10 days away. With everything going on there has not really been much time to stop and think. And with xmas carols going on about snow when its 30 degress outside it just doesn't register the same way!
I just reviewed the blog I did the other night and realised that it was really short given the amount of time that has passed since our last one - its as though we hadn't been up to much (only a trip to sydney etc - like any other weekend!) As such I thought I'd come back with some more details.
Once we moved in to the apartment we went out and bought a whole heap of stuff for the kitchen etc - stuff which we hadn't shipped. We ended up buying one of those big american style fridges and washing machine and other stuff as well as the PC i'm on. It was like the aberdoinan's day from hell - spending $5,000 on stuff you left back home or gave away for free when you sold your house! But its good to get the place starting to feel liveable. Since then our stuff has arrived into Oz although hasn't cleared customs. V frustrating knowing that as we are in Port Melbourne we can probably see the container our stuff is in from our balcony but Oz customs obviously have an issue with all those guns I'm trying to smuggle in. Its not too bad though as they are going to deliver it next Wednesday the same day our new couch arrives. We don't have a TV yet which I think is impacting our ability to conversate with the natives. No chat on Eastenders. No "did you see the apprentice last night?"! I honestly can't think what they do with all that time on their hands.....!!!!!
A couple of weeks ago we went into one of the bars just out the front of our apartment and got talking to 2 guys. It was quite amusing as we went for dinner on Wed night last week and walked in just behind them and ended up having dinner with them. I think they thought we were stalking them! They were actually a good laugh and at one point I though one of them was going to invite us to use his beachhouse for xmas - but alas no such luck.
So we went up to Sydney last weekend as Kel had training up there and I arranged some work also so the flights were paid. Sydneysiders are obviously not use to the wet stuff as there had been a storm come through during the day and it was all over the papers on sat with rivers running through the streets etc. Wouldn't happen in the Deen where we tend to cope. We had a nice dinner on fri night and spent sat sightseeing including a trip around some of the bays. On sat night we went up to the 42 (?) floor at the Shangri-La hotel which has great views of the bridge and opera house etc followed by a great meal under the habour bridge. All very civilized and I'm getting used to all this al fresco dining!
On Sun we went to Bondi and then up to Lee and Tracey's for a BBQ. They have a great pad with an awesome view of an inlet on the North Shore. It is what makes sydney a great place as they are only 30 mins into work over the bridge but you feel miles away. We're looking forward to heading back up for New Year.
I was mistaken for an American for the 4th time by a taxi driver. Ended his chance of a tip.
This week has gone in pretty quickly and work is starting to pick up a bit. Its been a bit slow principally due to the pre-xmas slow down but the team have also just completed a huge deal today which is great as people's time will be freed up again. We went out for a beer tonight and have been invited to spend xmas with a group of people down at Torquay. Its down of the surf coast and at the start of the Great Ocean Rd. Its good we've got something sorted as I think we were both getting a bit worried that it was going to be a bit lonely although neither of us were really saying it.
Off to a BBQ tomorrow and then we're going to see Elton John on Sunday....which when coupled with the fact we are seeing Rod Stewart in March makes me old b4 my time.
Anyway, thats pretty much up to date apart from Yvonne giving birth to Sofie which is great - well chuffed for you and Scott. The labour was actually in progress during the last blog but I didn't want to say anything incase of bad omens!
Speak to you all soon
Rister

Advertisement



14th December 2007

American
Ryan If the locals keep mistaking you for a yank, maybe you need to shift some weight! Haha. See you in a few weeks. Phil

Tot: 0.029s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb