"I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers" - Gandhi


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 25th 2005
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finding NemoFinding NemoFinding Nemo

Powershot S1 IS with WP-DC20 underwater housing.
Part II of my various vague ramblings on travelling with a camera. Some links to good photographers near the bottom of the page, so if you just like looking at pretty pictures try out this section. A section on underwater photography with digicams is included at the end.

I would add the major caveat that I am self-taught and no expert, and so the opinions offered here are entirely my own and may well not be correct. Also, please don't assume I'm religiously devoted to Canon or Nikon or whoever, or to film or digital. I just want to take nice photos. Within that the camera is a tool which you have to learn and to which you have to adapt, nothing more.

Should people wish to add information, comments or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I will add anything useful sent by private email to the text, crediting appropriately.

Photographic Background.


I started playing around with cameras about four years ago, as a result of a knee operation that stopped me running for several months. I needed to find something to keep me sane. For most of this time I used a Minolta Dynax 7 film slr and was generally very pleased with the camera and the results I got, although the Minolta lenses I had were not as sharp as the more expensive Canon lenses I now own. The pinnacle of this was a pretty nice shot of Mesa Arch in Canyonlands, Utah, at sunrise. a 50x40 inch print now sits above the fireplace in the dining room at home. It isn't as good as Joe Cornish's version but it is a least as good as the Nike advert (minus the runner of course).

About two years ago I bought a second-hand Canon Powershot G1 (3 megapixel digital) in order to play around with infra-red filters (take a look at Kleptography which is the site that inspired me). I got some great results until the camera packed in on me just as I was lining up a nice shot of Edinburgh Castle. The ensuing warranty debacle meant that although I now have a working camera I never managed to get going with it again before we came away. It is a shame as infrared is a fantastic creative medium.

I also bought a 3mp Canon Powershot S1 IS, a more modern 'digicam' in the 'ultra-zoom' category. I bought Canon as the company I worked for was a subsidiary of Canon so we got the occasional good deal, and I bought an ultra-zoom with half a mind to visiting Africa. Again we've got some nice results from it.

After about a year of researching and agonising, playing around with the two digicams and many technical discussions with the guru in my office (I'll call him Niffud Neil), I finally bit the bullet and bought a Digital SLR (DSLR) with the primary purpose of having a decent camera with me for our forthcoming trip. The results you can see on this website. Again I bought Canon, although by this time the subsidiary company had been sold to another industry giant so no cheap deals for me.

I also bought a second-hand small and distinctly dated looking Ricoh GR1s film camera as a backup should our camera gear be stolen. It may not look much but it packs a high-quality 28mm wide-angle lens.

Buying an SLR


If you are thinking of buying an SLR remember the most important thing - you are not buying a camera, you are buying a lens system. In practice that means most people look at either Canon or Nikon. Nikon are known throughout the world as the brand used by professional photographers but actually Canon are the leaders in market share. Take a look at any sports event or press event and you'll generally see more Canons than Nikons. So which do you choose? Well, both make good lenses and both make bad lenses, and the same probably goes for their cameras. The sad thing is that these brands dominate so much that other worthy contenders such as Minolta and Olympus struggle to compete, partly I guess because of people like me passing on this recieved wisdom. I owned a Minolta Dynax 7 which is a cracking camera body, with two Minolta lenses, which at their price point were probably as good as anything Canon offers. I've switched to Canon and spent a lot more money on lenses, which are notably better, but it was with some reluctance as I had been very happy with the Dynax 7 itself.

Two other things to mention. If you are looking at a prosumer camera (an expensive digicam with a good lens) you'd probably be better investing that little more and buying an entry level DSLR. You then have the beginnings of a system that you can build on and upgrade over time.

Secondly, if you can't afford a DSLR at the moment but are looking to take photography seriously, then get a cheap film SLR body from ebay or your local shop (no-one wants film anymore so you can get good stuff cheap). Again, you can build up your system step by step and switch to a digital body when you can afford it.

Digital vs Film


This is an emotive topic for many people and an accurate discussion is beyond my technical understanding. Here are some personal thoughts.

For most people, excluding professional landscape photographers, architectural photographers and possibly studio and underwater photographers, the benefits of digital likely outweigh the disadvantages. I still think if you want absolutely the best quality you are likely to get this using film, although I haven't seen the results from medium- format digital backs. Many people state that the resolution offered by the sensors in the professional Canon SLR's is greater than that from a medium format film camera which may be the case, but I'm not sure the printed results actually look quite as good - there is a lot going on to create those pixels and it doesn't always seem to work as well as it might. However I'm prepared to be shown to be totally wrong in that.

For your average punter like me, there are two significant areas that digital falls down over film - one is easily rectified the other not so. The vast majority of professional lanscape and increasingly travel photographers use Fuji Velvia 50 (or 100) for their pictures. This transparency film delivers beautiful colours, which are more saturated and vivid than reality but somehow remain believable. Bot all Digital SLR's deliver these same punchy colours out of the box, but achieving them with a little editing is really quite simple.

The more difficult problem comes with one of my favourite genres, the moody black and white. Digital imaging has revitalised Black and White photography as it is a very easy to use Photoshop to desaturate a colour image to produce a range of different black and white styles. A wide range of toning can easily be applied and the end result can be an artistic masterpiece from a really rather ordinary colour original. However what I have not been able to reproduce well in photoshop is the high contrast grain effects found with faster black and white films. I shouldn't complain - I like Black and White and digital has enhanced this experience for me greatly, but I'd really like to know how to get those really great effects (I've searched the web for a decent example of what I mean but cannot find one :-( )

One big advantage of digital that may not be obvious to all is the enhanced range of options made available by the ability to change the ISO setting every shot, instead of having to carry around bags of film of different speeds and continually change them mid-range. Suddenly you can get shots that you couldn't get before (unless you had lots of gear with you), at the flick of a switch.

Perhaps the biggest inherent danger with digital is exemplified in the following story. We were on top of Glacier Point in Yosemite, waiting for sunset. Along with several others we were trying to get some nice shots of the tree made famous by Ansel Adams, now sadly deceased (both the tree and the photographer). Some dickwit of an American was prancing around shooting hundreds of pictures with a little digicam with no thought of composition, light, exposure or anything. Even though non of us wanted to hear him he still merrily sang out "you see, that's the advantage of digital, I can shoot lots of pictures and get the best one when I get home." Well, thanks for that piece of unsolicited, unwanted and useless boasting you ridiculous prat. Now shut up and let the rest of us enjoy what we came up here to do.

But did he get any decent pictures? No, of course not. I bet none of us did. Taking more photographs doesn't mean you are taking better photographs and it doesn't mean you are likely to get a better photograph (unless you are doing something time-dependent like a baloon exploding, or a portrait - "work it baby" ). The problem I have with digital is that you become an empirical opportunistic photographer, not a thoughtful photographer who plans what they are doing. In orienteering terms you start running "ground to map" not "map to ground". You take the photo, look at it, adjust a few things and take it again, rather than searching for the best composition, setting your camera up, waiting for the light and then calculating the best exposure using all the know-how, experience and guesswork you have. The thing is, for landscapes and most travel photography at least, the latter method is going to produce vastly better results than the former method almost every time. Digital makes everything a bit to easy, but unless you know what you are doing you won't get great results. It is like skiing on fresh snow that is packed down but still slightly soft. Suddenly everyone on the piste is a good skiier carving beautiful turns, but once it turns icy or slushy those with bad technique are quickly found out. Sadly, in all these pastimes I'm still working far too much "ground to map" whilst juddering down icy mogul fields with arms flailing.

To illustrate this I like the story of this photo by Claude Fiddler. It is my favourite of his. If I remember rightly (his website is being constructed) he found this location late in the day. He only had three exposures left (using a medium or large format camera each exposure costs at least 1 gbp in film alone, much more for a large-format camera). He sat and waited several hours for the light and, judging by this, chose his moment just perfectly. Thankfully his technique was up to it also.

Fear and Loathing


To be honest the idea of taking all this expensive camera gear backpacking filled me with utter terror. We're about half way around now and the fear has lessened but it is still there. I'm also quite pleased with some of the results I've gotten, and I'm particularly happy that Sken like a Ribble fluke introduced me to travelblog, as now I feel we'll have a good record of our trip. Neither of us are the journal-keeping type. In terms of security travelling as a couple helps, not least as you can book the more secure double rooms as opposed to dormitories. We were perhap safest whilst with Exodus, simply because there were lots of other people around. But other people have their own agendas which are probably not photography, so on such a trip you have to go with the flow and fit in.

So far it seems that conditions and wear and tear have caused more problems than theft (touch wood, fingers-crossed etc). Dusty African roads and even dustier Mongolian deserts have punished most of the equipment to a fair degree, and getting it back into saleable condition is likely to cost me a fair whack. We'll see. Hopefully all the equipment will make it back to the UK with us in working order, although we're a long way from that point as I write today, and I guess the expense will have been worth it to have some great memories.

The other problem is that on a long trip one can become weary taking your camera everywhere and spending the whole time thinking about how to get a good photo. For the last couple of months I've hardly touched it, dragging it out reluctantly at times during the day and enjoying the odd sunset over the sea or a city. Hopefully by the time we move on to Tasmania I'll feel more motivated again.

Ideal future camera


They always have this in photography magazines so I thought I would add it. I much prefer taking pictures of landscapes rather than people (even if more people like looking at pictures of people rather than landscapes). To me the wide field of view available with panoramic format cameras seems to offer great possibilities for striking composition that just aren't there with 35mm. Used carefully and creatively, even drab locations can produce interesting photos. So my ideal camera would have to be something like a Fuji 6x17, as used by the likes of Colin Prior. Today this is a film camera, but if it came with a high resolution digital back, then even better. UK
Joe Cornish
A favourite of UK photography magazines, I was absolutely stunned when I saw one if his pictures of Glencoe from somewhere just off the Aonach Eagach ridge, sadly not on his site. Based in the North East, near Roseberry Topping, he has taken some stunning pictures of this area in particular, along with, of course, the rest of the world. Has now released his first book, "First Light" and looking at his website a new book, "Scotland's Coast", which I haven't seen.

David Noton
Another UK magazine favourite. This image of Buttermere is probably the best I have ever seen of the area where I grew up.

Charlie Waite
As above, with a stunning and varied portfolio.
Southwest USA
Michael Fatali
His website doesn't do him justice. We visited his gallery in Springdale just outside Zion National Park in Utah and were simply staggered by the beauty of some of his images, in particular the quality of the printing. Evenings Edge was my favourite. The attendent turned down the lights and the bright highlight on the sand ridge glowed thanks to the cibachrome (?) printing he uses. Queensland, Australia
Peter Lik
Came across this chap's gallery in Cairns. He clearly has some money behind him looking at the locations of his galleries. What we found interesting was that the colours in his large gallery prints were over-saturated - almost like a painting or cartoon. Apparently he shoots with Velvia but to us he had done something to increase the saturation of the prints. Kim hated it. Some I liked and some I didn't. This kind of thing can work if you have red desert sand and blue sky. However once you start getting a greater range of colours in the image the false manipulation starts to stand out and jar. What is odd is that we saw some of his prints for sale in a camera store and they hadn't been manipulated - they were straight prints from velvia, just like you get with all these other great photographers listed above.

I guess strong colours sell, but it seems sad someone who is clearly a great landscape photographer has to resort to what seems almost amateurish trickery to shift his work.

Rik Steinegger
Another gallery in Cairns, longer established than Mr Lik. Most of the postcards you see of the barrier reef from above water are likely to be this chap. Also some great "Australiana" photographs.
Tasmania, Australia
In my view Tasmania is one of the most beautiful places in Australia, and indeed the planet. I'm not biased because many of my relatives live there - far from it. You just have to get out into the Tasmanian wilderness to see what I mean. If you can't do that then take a look at the work of Peter Dombrovskis, a photographer who entered my consciousness long before I took up photography and discovered the likes of Joe Cornish and David Noton. Dombrovskis followed on from the pioneering work of Olegas Truchanas. I couldn't find much available on the net about Truchanas but there is an ABC website celebrating the work of both photographers and their attempts to help publicise and save the Tasmanian wilderness through their photography.

Olegas Truchanas
Peter Dombrovskis

For me these photos typify the Tasmanian landscape:
Lake Oberon
Mt Geryon from the Labyrinth
Cox Bight

Whilst in Tassie we saw a number of great pictures from Tasmanian and Australian photographers. Sadly the likes of Chris Bell, Grant Dixon, Jeff Jennings, Ted Mead and Wayne Paps (tragically RIP, another victim of Tassie's treachorous wilderness) don't appear to have done justice to their excellent portfolios on the web.

Rob Blakers
In my view the best of the talented bunch of current Tasmanian landscape photographers. Hold your mouse over the image to see a larger version.

Dennis Harding
Also good, but Blakers has a definite edge in terms of hunting out the best locations and making the most of the light.

Karen Gowlett Holmes
(South Australia)

This marine biologist has some stunning photos of Tasmanian sea horses etc but few seem available on the web. The Weedy Seadragon on the link is definitely worth a look though.
Western Australia
Christian Fletcher
Thanks to "Liz" for pointing out this chap, who has a stunning collection of images, particularly panoramics, from Western Australia plus a number from other Australian locations and North America. I've never been to Western Australia so I've selected a couple of others I really like

Mt Beauty, home of the really good pies
My Buffalo. An eeriely beautiful composition from a place that is not easy to tease good photos out of.

New Zealand
Craig Potton

Craig Potton is the big daddy of New Zealand photographers and now runs an extensive publishing house. For a long time his postcards and posters have defined New Zealand’s most visited places.

Andris Aspe
He has also been taking photos of New Zealand for a long time, and publishes some of his work through Craig Potton. His website has an extensive collection of beautiful images, many in the panoramic format, that will really get your mouth watering if you are intending to visit.

Rob Brown
One of my favourites from the current crop of Kiwi landscape photographers, Rob Brown’s style is closer to that of Tasmanian legend Peter Dombrovskis. Sadly I cannot find any web site for Rob but this image of Key Summit at the start of the Routeburn track is one of my favourite images of his, and is typical of the postcards that we saw by him.

Chile
Pablo Valenzuela Vaillant
This chap has published several books of Chilean photographs and his website seems to have a good selection and is well worth a browse.
Andres Morya
Also has books and calenders of Chile in print, although sadly the website is more designed as a stock library. Still worth a look though.
Augusto Dominguez
Also presented as a general stock library of Chilean pictures, but take a look at the Banco de Images anyway.


Wildlife
Andy Rouse
A favourite wildlife photographer from the UK, who also went to college with my old boss, apparently. Uses digital heavily.

Franz Lanting
One of the great wildlife photographers working today. Some of his images of African wildlife, taken in the days before autofocus, are incredible - especially if you like penguins.

Steve Bloom
More incredible piccies of your favourite cuddly carnivores. This chap has moved to digital and unashamedly edits his prints - something still fairly rare for the chaps at the very top. You'll find his new book Untamed in the shops but you might need a new coffee table to support it.

Dave Watts
Stumbled upon this site which is a Tasmanian-based chap who specialises in Australian wildlife. Some good stuff in here.

Strasthspey Wildlife
Perhaps not normally associated with the likes of Franz Lanting and Steve Bloom, but this chap conquered the almighty climb to the Rwandan gorillas with us. For all you UK-based orienteers reading then many of these photos have been taken in areas you know and love well.

Nick Brandt
Stunning Black and White photographs of East African Wildlife. Look out for his book, "On this Earth".

Useful web resources


Again thanks to Niffud Neil for pointing me to many of these.
Jeber Photo Clubs
New site related to Travelblog based around the idea of photo clubs - showcase your photos and discuss photography with like-minded people.
DP Review
Detailed reviews and news about all the major non-professional DSLR's and digicams.
Steve's Digicams
As above but focused on digicams and accessories.
Luminous Landscape
Fascinating site covering all aspects of lanscape and nature photography from a digital perspective. Lots and lots of useful and thought-provoking information here.
Photosig
Users submit photos and other users comment on them. A great source for inspiration.
Petteris Pontifications
All kinds of thoughts on all aspects of photography, again mostly from a digital perspective. Some useful lessons included also, particularly levels, curves, sharpening and layers and masks. Hmmm, must have another read of this.
7DayShop
Cheap web shop in the Channel Islands with something of a mixed reputation. If you are in the UK a great place to get cheap accessories from. Take care with more expensive goods as they may be grey imports, but if you are happy with this then prices are very good.


Underwater Photography


We had brought along with us a relatively compact Canon Powershot S1 IS superzoom (now replaced in the shops with the 5mp S2 IS). Although only a 3mp camera the 10x zoon plus image stabiliser made this a good camera for wildlife, and we thought it small enough to take in a backpack when walking (or running). As it is I have always either taken the 20D with me or nothing at all, so this camera was starting to become a bit redundant. However in Singapore we decided to buy and underwater case for it and try our hand at taking photos whilst diving. This was the first time either of us had tried it, and the learning curve is steep.

Canon Powershot S1 IS


This assessment is mainly related to how the camera performs out of water, although I've added some underwater-related comments.

Good points

Bad points

Video on digicams is an interesting phenonemon. It is a useful feature but it only suits certain types of events - babies are always good, skiing, so you can see how daft you look, and now diving, so you can watch those nice turtles and sting rays sailing through the deep blue of the ocean. The S1 IS VGA (640x480) video mode is fantastic, particularly as you get that ultra zoom and the image stabiliser, both of which are useful underwater for video. So sad that it doesn't use mpeg4 compression and so tends to chew through memory cards

Lensmate Filter attachment


A big flaw with this camera is the lens cap, which just keeps coming off, leaving your lens exposed to dirt and scratching. This is pretty scandalous on behalf of Canon considering the lens can't be replaced. You can't attach filters to the lens without buying an expensive filter attachment from Canon, or a cheaper one from Lensmate. Once you've got one of these you can attach a UV filter and lens cap to protect your lens and go creative with macro filters or whatever you fancy (Infra red doesn't work to well with this camera though).

The only problem is that the lensmate filter holder doesn't fit inside the WP-DC20 underwater case (well, it does at a squeeze although I've not been brave enough to try it yet). However I doubt the Canon adapter does either.

WP-DC20 Underwater housing


We bought this Canon made housing in Singapore at a significant discount to the UK. Such things seem hard to find in the UK but seeem fairly readily available in areas where there is a lot of recreational diving at hand e.g. Singapore and Cairns. The main plus point of the housing is that it pretty much does what it is supposed to do. Downsides are it's bulk, the fact that Canon don't include a flash diffuser as standard (which they do on some other models) and the fact that the shooting button is a little stiff, which becomes problematic when you are trying to pre-focus to avoid indecent shutter-lag. The other major problem is that the casing itself causes a flash shadow when taking very close up shots, which is somewhat disappointing as otherwise decent 'macros' would be possible with this camera/case combination.

Using the Powershot Underwater


From what I can tell a number of unique problems face the underwater photographer compared to our drier brethren:

What is the upshot of this ? Very simply, if you want to get great shots underwater you are going to spend a lot of money - at least two to three times what you would need to spend on land - and you are going to have to invest a lot of time in experimenting with equipment to see what works and what doesn't.

Lets look at the points above in turn.

Water filters out light

So all your shots look blue, or even worse blue/green. What can you do?

You are most likely to be floating
Not a lot you can do other than practice your buoyancy control. However if you can get a faster shutter speed then all well and good. That means either increasing the amount of light available to you (use a flash, don't go deep and go on holiday somewhere sunny), getting a wider aperture or increasing your ISO settings. The last two of course depend on what camera you buy - the EOS 20D is clearly going to be better than the S1 IS in this respect. Don't forget also to check the fastest flash synch speed - most flashes are limited to between 1/125th and 1/250th speed - although the latter should be plenty as you won't be taking telephoto shots underwater, will you?

It is very wet
So you'll be paying a lot of money for low-volume high-value waterproof casings for your equipment. And make sure you recheck that seal everytime you have opened the case.

Not many people are doing it
This affects you in two ways - cost and information. If more people bought underwater equipment the price would (should) come down. We met lots of divers in Bali and Cairns that had a digicam casing of one sort or another, so perhaps there is a growing market here and maybe costs might drop. In the meantime, sell your car or get a second mortgage. You may need to do both.

As to finding out what works and what doesn't, there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of information around. From what I can tell, this is a bit of a pioneering pastime and there is no substitute for trying something out to see if it works. However I did note the following sites: Canon have some semi-useful sales tips on using digicams underwater. I also discovered a helpful free magazine, UWPMag sponsored by the big names in underwater kit.

So what?
Well, the S1 IS is not the ideal underwater camera, but if you have one the WP-DC20 case works reasonably well and you can get some nice snaps, particularly on sunny days with good visibility. The video+telephoto+IS is a big plus, but if you are looking to video things underwater then buy a video camera. If you've got an S1 IS then by all means use it. If you haven't, then don't buy one for underwater use. Take a look around and see what your options are, but given a setup to take good pictures will cost several thousands of dollars then you might be wanting to buy something more than a digicam to live at the heart of it.

Anyway, your ideal camera would have.

There is probably no camera in existence that satisfies all those criteria but it gives you an idea of what to look for. In particular the good video capability tends to contradict the other points, so maybe you do need to take two cameras into the shower after all.

Advertisement



29th August 2005

Your Singapore blog was about pizza and how much beer you drank as a student you crazy guy, and something about the layout of Air France T2! Now some obssession with lists! are you German? Your like David Beckham..you could of been great, but now your just good. Winding you up by the way..im a fan..ive enjoyed most of what you write.
2nd September 2005

First warning
Ricky, I warned you. Less of the camera stuff or the cow gets its udders cut off. No more Miss nice girl.
25th September 2005

my personal preference is for christian fletcher's images from the western side of Australian http://www.christianfletcher.com.au/
16th December 2006

Canon S1 IS and underwater housing
Thanks for your comments on the above. We purchased a Canon S1IS a year or two ago with the underwater housing. We've always put up with "blue" underwater photos, preferring to just "capture the moment" rather than perfect our photography. On our last dive in Cancun, an underwater photographer that was along lent us his filter and our photos looked so much better. So I bought a UR PRO filter and an adaptor to use on our camera. Just like you stated...together, they don't fit into our housing. We even took the front lens off of our housing and the surrounding gasket and it still didn't work. Just wanted to thank you for confirming what we just found out.

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 24; qc: 138; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb