The pilgrimage x2...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 2nd 2005
Published: August 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Woke up with a JCB outside the window and got some very odd looks going for a shower! We also booked into a daytime Neighbours tour with backpackerking.com.au, so we went and caught the bus by Flinders St station. It was a bit rubbish at first - we just about recognised the outside of the school but we weren't even allowed in the studios. But it was all made up for by our visit to Ramsey street, which is a real street called Pin Oak Court in West Melbourne with real people living three - in number 30 is an english couple who only moved to Australia so they could live in Ramsey Street - well - wouldn't you? We got plenty of photos including with a Ramsey Street sign but they didn't sell the signs - there's our ideas for presents out the window! We did get ourselves some stubby holders though!
Our tour guide let us into a little secret that you can either pay to go to a viewing platform for the nightscape of Melbourne or go and use the toilets on the 51st floor of the Sofitel on Collins St. So we wandered over there. It looked as though you needed a room card to go in so we went and had a coffee in the cafe which had a better view anyway (although the toilets - which you didn't need a card for - were amazing because of the glass wall showing you the nightscape). Yet another double take on our slumming it lifestyle meeting the poshness of our lifestyle.
Wandered over to Chinatown which wasn't quite as impressive as we'd been led to believe (it's arch was barely even lit up) but it was a very long street! Went to the Post-Mao Cafe because it was just too ace - it had huge pictures of Mao everywhere and said that its Hunanese cuisine revealed the secrets of Mao's favourite dishes. The cantonese set menu was too good to pass up though (it had banana fritters mmm). Had one of many conversations based on Dave's book 'Watching the English' about the unwritten rules of being English - definitely a must read! Me and Pete are simultaneously reading HP 6 now as well - Dave's already finished and can't wait to be able to discuss it. Got our free glass of fizzy wine in the city Elephant and Wheelbarrow from the tour - cheapskates! Saw possums in the park on the way home!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb