Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne

View from the observation tower
Armed with day passes for the bus we headed into Melbourne centre. The city immediately strikes one as pleasant with its organised grid system and free tourist tram. After coffee we caught the tram to the old Melbourne Gaol. We paid for the extra 'tour' of the former holding cells during which they act out as though you had been arrested. It was very well done - it is so realistic that after having my photo taken stood against the height gauge that I accidentally left my charge sheet behind and was genuinely worried that the sergeant would ask me for it. Back at the Prison itself it was fascinating - we spent ages touring the exhibits in the cells. The gallows were particularly affecting (the ones where Ned Kelly amongst many others was hung). Most of the executioners were convicts themselves and nearly all of them came to a sad end themselves - either insane our in one case at the very gallows that he had attended as executioner. We could have stayed even longer but the rest of Melbourne summoned. We headed up the Observation Deck to get a birds eye view of the town - bumping into the retired Aussie couple on the site next to us at the campsite. On our return to campsite we did a long twilight walk through the nature reserve by our campsite. Almost immediately we saw distant wild kangaroos grazing but unfortunately didn't see any wild koalas, which are sometimes seen there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb