Gentlemen, Pack Your Paniers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 15th 2019
Published: August 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We head off on a different trip this time. Not the feather light purebred stallion racing bikes beneath our saddles of our previous trips, but rather the draft horse of the cycling world, Touring Bikes. There'll be no 30km/hr days as we lug upto 30kgs of bike and baggage up the Rockies, and around the roads and rail trails of Canada.

It's not going to be quite as rough and ready as full on touring though, with accommodation booked for each night along the trail and some well placed rest days along the route.

It's the first time touring for me and I must say I think I went a size too small on the panniers with only 2 x 15 Litre bags. I might have to bribe the boys into carrying a few items for me.

It's the night before we leave and Tommy has changed his mind on which bike to ride about 5 times. Having initially decided on towing a bike trailer he's swapping to panniers at the last minute. I'm still not sure what stead will turn up at the airport with him.

Jeff is fresh back from Europe fit and raring to go and good mate Graeme joins us as first time Amigo.

So sit back and turn the pages following us as we meander our way from Vancouver to Banff via the Kettle Valley Rail Trail, and then turn north via the spectacular (and wildlife rich) Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Then it'll be an overnight train trip back to Vancouver and in the final week we'll flit from Seattle, to Vancouver Island and finally back to Vancouver.

Advertisement



15th August 2019

Food...
Tommy will need 2 x 30 litre panniers and that's just for his food!!! Have a fab and safe epic adventure. I am looking forward to you daily blog. Will Tommy win the prized 'Most Punctures' prize again and will you make it thru without a single puncture??? Cheers...Gav
17th August 2019

All will be revealed in the fullness of time - except the food bit. That's a given!

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb