we have moved again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
February 27th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

hi

well we have moved to melbourne. After nearly 3 weeks of not doing a great deal in Aldinga, Adelaide we hired a relocation van to get us to Melbourne. this basically means we get a camper cheaper then usual as the rental company needs it back at a certain time.
so we picked up the van in Adelaide, proceeded to get lost trying to get out of the city and finally we hit the road. the coastal route to melbourne takes you down the great ocean road. it is amazing. The bay of islands was first on the way which is chunks of limestone land that has broken away forn the main land and just looks gorgeous then onto the 12 apostles which is the same but smaller chunks.

the drive itself takes you through various surroundings. you start on a country road with lots of cows and sheep on 1 side and the coast line just in view on the other, then you will go through dense forest, then through a small town and along the last stretch which is right on the caost with a hefty drop into the ocean which is pretty scary but stunning.

the 1st bit of the journey we passed a place called old tailem town which is a pricey tourist attraction that has old style ozzie buildings and cars, it looked cool from the outside but we couldnt afford the $20 entrance fee each! the we passed a place which just says on the map "Giant lobster" and it is a small town of about 10 houses a petrol staion and 1 restaurent with a 40 foot high lobster outside! (fake obviously)it was very random. we stayed over night at a place called Mt Gambia which is inland and has a few old volcanic craters which are now lakes. 1 of which is called the blue lake which is gorgeous and an amazing blue colour due to volcanic residue.

the 2nd night we stayed just onthe side of the road in a place called Torquay were the famous brands Ripcurl and Billabong were discovered. this place is apparently the best place for surfing in Victoria. so you are not really allowded to stay on the side of the road but many campers do as you pay for your van then they expect you to pay 20 bucks or so for a site! there were 4 other people there as well so we thought it would be ok. well at 7am someone knocked on the van and i almost jumped out of my skin, anyway it was 1 of the other campers warning us the ranger was on his way! what a lucky escape.

so now we are in melbourne staying in a stink hole of a place about 10mins walk from the city. its crap but cheap and bugger me there are 2 other people form hull staying there! what are the chances? we walked around the city yesterday and today its hot so we hopped a tram to St kilda the local seaside. (its a bit like blackpool but hotter on account that it has a fairground on the front)

we are gonna meet up with a friend who lives here this weekend and although our hostel is rubbish there is a bar down stairs. we have come to the conclusion if you cant beat 'em - join 'em seen as our room is right above the bar and and early night is noisily out of the question.

will keep you posted xx

Advertisement



27th February 2009

miss you lots
glad to hear your both still having a great time .. i looked up the ocean road ..its amazing and to think you have both been there . bet you are becomming a proper pair of hippies now with your long hair and hippie van cool man . keep the blog comming and more pics when you can please. miss you both ..take care of each other ..love ya lots mum xx

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb