Camper Van Jounrey / Melbourne Cup


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
November 6th 2006
Published: December 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So Ed, Nebel and Maddy and I leave Sydney to drive down to Melbourne for the Melbourne Cup. It was a bit stressful getting the camper van - although it was a steal. We got it through a relocation company which meant that they would pay for the petrol etc and we just had to pay for the insurance - so it worked out about 20 dollars each.
Nebel and I were the only one's with driving licences and although we had the camper van for 3 days, we had to get there within a day as the Mebourne Cup was the following day.

So Ed had said that the journey would take about 8 hours, although in the taxi on the way to pick up the campervan the taxi driver said it would take about 16 - 18 hours at which point we started to have a go at Ed (sorry - Ed), in the end it wasn't too bad probably about 11 hours. However the Camper Van was a bit of a squeeze as it was supposed to be for 2 adults and 1 child (and no one was supposed to go in the back) - so there there was 3 of us in the front, and Ed asleep in the back most of the way. I was proud of myself though as it was the first time I had ever driven abroad, let alone in Melbourne City Center at night (amongst trams) and running out of petrol, and lost. Anyway we eventually get there, check in to Cooee, and all in need of a drink, where we also bump in to Gary and Matt who are also stopping at the same hostel!

Get up early in order to get glammed up for the Mebourne Cup, so funny all these backpackers getting all dressed up, the woman frantically doing make up, and swapping GHD's and hairdryers, whilst all the men in there suits. Maddy wanted to get a hat and the boy's need ties as well. Then we meet Kelly and Alan at flinders station with another Irish man they had met, we also meet Smithy later on at the races.

Such a good day - one of the highlights of my travels so far. We all put on bets, get bottles of champagnes and watch the races. Just really good fun with everyone glammed up, looked like the whole of Melbourne was going to a wedding.

Alan won some money so get the drinks in.... I make an idiot of asking a man who I was a chatting to by asking if he was Scottish, whilst he is dressed up in a tartan kilt etc.

We all head back into the city for a meal (yes Maddy I was too full! And long Island Ice Tea doesn't count) and Nebel as he turned 27 got some birthday cake) then went round some bars afterwards for some more drinks.

An incident occured on the way back with Ed and Maddy, which Pella in Africa had found out about within a few hours of it occurring.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb