Melbourne, Neighbours and The Twelve Apostles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
November 6th 2006
Published: January 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hanging out with ToadieHanging out with ToadieHanging out with Toadie

Actor Ryan "Toadfish" Moloney had recently become a dad.
With fond memories of New Zealand behind me, arrived in Melbourne the night before the Melbourne Cup. Needless to say Melbourne was packed for that week and there seemed to be Irish everywhere..... including our good mates from the Kiwi Experience. Thanks to "Smithy" most nights involved some serious drinking and a couple of times we ended up back at hostel - The Coffee Palace, where he'd use his charm to aquire more beer and we'd end up playing pool until about 6am!
We stayed in a hostel in St. Kilda, which is basically Melbourne's beach suburb. I really enjoyed my time there and it was easy enough to get in and out of the city using the trams. It was however not beach weather, and the weather in Melbourne changed dramatically day to day for the duration of our stay. It could start out warm and be blustery, cold or even rain!
I didn't do much in Melbourne itself other than walk round and take in the sights. There was live music in Federation Square during Melbourne Cup week and a photographic exhibition down by the Yarra river with some spectacular shots from around the globe.
I went to Neighbours
Janelle TimminsJanelle TimminsJanelle Timmins

A dream come true...
Night in St. Kilda and met Toadie, Max Hoyland and Janelle..... I was a bit star stuck and enjoyed every minute although it was sad Dr Carl and his band werent playing... apparently they were touring England!
Left Melbourne on a 10 day tour to Alice Springs and started out on The Great Ocean Road. On route I bought a pair of Board Shorts from Rip Curl HQ in Torquay.... apparently Rip Curl are one of the few major brands still Australian owned.
I think I may have been spoilt by scenery in the USA on US Highway 1, or maybe it was the weather, which wasnt great but The Great Ocean Road didn't live up to expectations. The limestone stacks were impressive and we saw Koalas in their natural habitat. Also went to Otway Fly which is a walk on a 25 meter high elevated walkway through temperate rainforest.
Ended the first leg of the tour in Adelaide which I have to rate as the worst city I visited in Australia. The citys only saving grace is the beach suburb of Glenelg but otherwise give it a miss.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Max HoylandMax Hoyland
Max Hoyland

Actor Stephen Lovatt seemed to really enjoy neighbours night... fair play Max!
Central MelbourneCentral Melbourne
Central Melbourne

This one is for Dad... yes that is the PWC office to the right of the big tower.
Flinders Street StationFlinders Street Station
Flinders Street Station

Melbourne has some stunning architecture, including some colourful colonial buildings.
Luna Park, St. KildaLuna Park, St. Kilda
Luna Park, St. Kilda

Amusement park built in the 1930's
Melbourne SkylineMelbourne Skyline
Melbourne Skyline

View from St. Kilda pier.
Bourke Street, MelbourneBourke Street, Melbourne
Bourke Street, Melbourne

With Christmas on the way
Sky Mangel Sky Mangel
Sky Mangel

Randomly spotted Sky on a Christmas parade float.
KoalaKoala
Koala

Fact: Koalas do not drink water!
Southern OceanSouthern Ocean
Southern Ocean

Waves travel all the way from the Antartic before hitting Australia.
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

Apparently a striking resemblance before the mid section collapse.
The GrampiansThe Grampians
The Grampians

View from The Balcony lookout
The GrampiansThe Grampians
The Grampians

A precarious ledge


13th January 2007

Photos
Hi Matt, Great pictures mate, keep them coming buddy. Will send you over some pitures on Benjamin soon, Luke

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb