I have VERY happy feet!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Philip Island
March 5th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone


well i'm please to report back to you after a GREAT DAY! (great few days anyways..)

yesterday i just roamed the streets of st.kilda and downtown melbourne for a bit...found myself in china town for a while...just kinda got a feel for the city and all i can say is VERRY NICE VERRY NICE! hahah...ya it wa s agod little roamski....then i got to hit up some bars and drink lots of goon with fellow hostelers...i'm staying a hostel called the ritz...hahaha...irony at its best!

I guess the most interesting part of my hostel is my roommates....

so i walk into my room...relieved that there are only 5 beds in total (instead of 10 or some other exponentially large number) and i saw that only one bed was occupied...it appeared to me at the time that the person occupying this bed had been there for a while and had probably found a job recently because there were suits hanging up and some other clothes just hung up...i noticed the guitar in the corner as well as a pin up poster of some chick with incredibly fake breasts on the wall...i just figured he'd probably be some 24 year old guy just livin here for a few weeks till he acquired some type of semi permanent resident...

wow i am bad at this assumption thing....in walks my roommate...about 5'8, 210, large beer belly and grey thinning hair (so thin i'm pretty sure he wears the spray on stufF)....my best estimates is late 50's...turns out my roomie is a divorcee of a year and has been livin here ever since his wife gave him the boot and he's been working in the city...i was just a little shocked but he was really really really nice (i just ignored the condom wrapper i found on the floor i mean there are 4 other beds in there and i'd rather just not make any additional assumptions...) anyways so ya thats my one roomy...now i' have like the sweetest german guy i have ever met in my room as well....i'll be honest not to make huge general blanket statements here but most germans...not very nice....not very warm...and not very receptive to my sense of humour (i assume so anyways cuz when i try to make a joke they give me a look like i've just decapitated their dog then they speak german amongst themselves as i nod along...) anyways he lied about having previous experience working in a coffee shop for a job interview and has downloaded every type of coffee someone could ever wish to order and occaisionally asks me (as if i'd know...) about the different types (like if its cinnamon or cocoa you sprinkle on top of a cappuccino) ..he also gets me to pretend i'm ordering stuff and asks me how to ask people what they want from the menu in english....but anyways he's a great roommate and makes me feel a tiny bit less awkard with my older amgio...

ok on to today...it was AWESOME!!! I WENT TO PHILIP ISLAND (mom and dad you MUST go there to see the penguin parade)...it was quite a good day trip...we went to a winery and got to taste some yummy wines..i' must say i've become quite an expert in the last week....after that we headed to another animal sanctuary and i got to cuddle wilma the wombat and she gave me a kiss on the cheek! sooooooooo cute pics up soon....then we went to the beach for a bit (where the waves got decievingly high before i had a chance to run away and got my dress all wet!) and then had a pizza dinner...after we went to a boardwalk just to look around the west side of the island and we found lots of cute penguins in their tiny little burrowed huts...then around sunset we went to the penguin parade...not actually a parade..it's people who spend lots of money to sit in stadium seats (you can rent a cushion for 2 dollars) and watch the penguins waddle out of the ocean and up to their burrows and to their babies! it was so cute we had these little babies right close to us trying to find their mom...i dont know how much everyone knows about penguins but they are very monogamous and each one has a "song" that they sing that they use to find their mates so we were able to hear these little songs from the penguins (more like wimpering screeches but it was still really cute!)....they were everywhere it was soooooooo great....and to top it off i got a free stuffed penguin souvenire! one wing is longer than the other and one foot is kinda turned out and i'm pretty sure it was from the seconds bin but his name is perry the penguin and i love him anyways!!!!

soooo tomorrow is my last day in melbourn (OMG ALREADY!!!!!!) i'm really getting excited for thailand!

i hope everyone is doing well...heard about the snowstorm...sorry about your luck....it was a bit chilly here tonight tho and i forgot a sweater to wear over my sundress...so i feel your pain...to a much lesser extent of course!!!!

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!

xoxoxoxooxoxoxox

gen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb