Casino Royal to Essendon. Hangover awaits me!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
March 29th 2008
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Current Mood: Time for a weeks rest... Yeah!!

Melbourne

Ok… I heard so much about this city. Working in Darwin the way I did I got to meet Rob who constantly bigged up his home town. The guys from Laos told me to make sure I got down there as it was the best city in OZ and many other Australians I’ve met on route and Europeans for that matter all say you have to See Melbourne.

As explained earlier in the blog listings I spent my last Day with the family and after a great day got dropped to St Mary’s Station to head to town for my over Night bus to this accredited Haven. Sydney was raining but hot and the night was drawing in so at 8pm I was happy to get out of there. Looking at a 12 hour bus ride I quickly tried to get myself comfortable and got some Zzz’s in for the coming day.

Arriving early and having plans to go and meet Lewy at his hostel I needed a few directions. So after calling him he quickly got up and come to meet me from Southern Cross Station. First impressions of Melbourne…. A little cooler. Anyway we walked down to the Backpackers (the All Nations) I had booked into to get my bags checked in. We were told we wouldn’t be able to use our Beds as there was no sheets available, so looking to Lewy for advice of where to go at 7.30am pretty much set the standard for the day. The Casino! This place was the only close Venue to where we were staying that served Beer. So Lewy being Lewy and me being me we decided that the Casino was perfect for a Monday morning. At 7.45am I was drinking my first Schooner of Carlton Draught. (Hows that lads??)

Right... around 8 schooners later, which is not to much smaller than a pint, we were heading back to the hostel to get the bedding. From here the plan was to go and meet a few guys at the Belgium beer gardens. I was doing well. I was still walking. So into reception we went to get directions and on leaving we met a lad called Pete from Somewhere north in England. Inviting him out straight away we all jumped a tram in the direction of Belgium. Naomi Who I met in Laos had already arrived but to my disappointment Azza and Carly couldn’t make it. Nevermind it was great to see Na never the less. Beer after Beer and toilet trip after trip the sun got warmer and I got more pissed. The day was going great though. We grabbed some food which sorted us all out then it was back to the game again. Sam and Joshuaah from Manly turned up so the mood picked up a treat just at the time we all met Penny and Helen. To ladies out on the wreck with there mates who I forget names of. We basically finished up the day partying it in with those guys. Cheers Girls it was a good day. After saying bye to those mad two myself and Lewy jumped a tram in search of home but Storms put us out of sorts. We were on and off of every other tram and ended up walking home from somewhere in Melbourne following the river front which was bizarre. The rain was crazy and almost reminded me of the wet season in Darwin when I arrived in Oz.

Anyway arriving back to the digs Lewy was well up for more beers but I was hammered. I decided to call it a day and hit the hay. A 16 hour session hurt pretty bad the next day.

Feeling the burn Tuesday morning I was up and sitting in the TV room with a hot chocolate. I didn’t know what to do with myself but the weather wasn’t really allowing for much. The forecast for the week was bad so my plans of hitting the ocean road were blown out. Id rather see it in summer temperatures. So I rang Lewy for another day of advice hahahaha though my hangover was craving a fry up. In search of an irish pub we wondered through the streets of Melbourne finding the place to be a cool looking city. Trams were everywhere, Graffiti lined almost every alley wall and tunes that were great came from nearly every door. The city was almost like being In a relaxed village with all that I city sports. The atmosphere was definitely not like a hustled bustled brick City. I liked it.

We found a good breaky then weather permitting we skipped from pub to pub until finding that Will and Ed would Arrive so we shot back to the digs to sneak them in and get the last of happy hour. Wicked night lads.

Waking up the following morning to Katie and Ed jumping on me on the TV rooms Lounge we decided on a repeat of the previous day. We all headed out to a range of bars for food and drinks looking in at St Jeromes, Bridie Oreilles and many more. I was loving it. The weather though took a massive turn for the worse. So we just sat tight in Bridies until hungry enough to leave. Gotta plug the $5 pints of Tooheys extra dry in there man they are good. After drinking the happy hour dry we all went for a subway before monging out in the tv room. Ive gotta tell you guys something. The reason I persistently slept in the tv room was due to the bad case of bed bugs the Hostel suffers. Its not a nice sight guys. Maybe if you like to sleep you should avoid this place. That night in the early hours Will and Ed left for New Zealand. Guys it’s been a pleasure knowing you both. Keep in touch ay!

Thursday morning was to be the Big day out. Back in Darwin when I hurt my leg I got to meet a guy called Luke I would have written about. He was a mate of Robs who set me up with the island Job. Well I was to be meeting those two today which normally means drunk stupid. Yes Melbourne is officially turning me into a binge drinker. But a social one to be fair hahaha. Lewy got up and I explained we would be going out to meet me mate from the NT and he was more than game. So at about 1pm after a few $5 jugs in the All Nations Bar we jumped a train out to Essendon where my mates live. We all got straight into it. Rob wasn’t well so he took it easy but we met a good bunch of his mates Including the Gorgeous Jenx haha and Robs Brother Dave. There were others. Playing the Ozzies at pool they could see they were out of there league so a challenge to a table of girls set us up. We got hammered. Good sports they were! After this Luke being a big fella got the food on the go so bowl upon bowl of Wedges and beer batters Chips came along. It was a tasty treat though I was thinking my time was nearly up with regard to the drink. Lewy left early to catch some comedy and the rest of us shot to another pub to end the night. In all it was a great day. As far as Melbourne goes ill have to head back to refresh my memory on what it was like hahaha

On my last day in Melbourne I honestly felt like I was going to die. I packed up my things and checked out of the hostel and wondered the streets in search of me Good mate Anne. It was great to see her. We got some things sorted but it wasn’t too long before we got back into the pub for a few more gut rotting beers. My life is done. My belly was bad but the day was great. We all got to catch up with numbers of guys that we’d met that week and Katie from Dougies left for the ocean road which was to clear over the next few days. Its been great playing with you darling keep well ok xx.

That night myself and Anne decided to sleep in the airport as we both had flights out of Melbourne. Anne was heading to New Zealand and I was heading to Perth to See Chris my cousin that I havn't seen in nearly 3 years and all the gang that had moved from Darwin to this supposedly remote city. Jane was there which was the major highlight… Janey and Lakey are back on the listings. I cant wait.

Well guys this is my blogs upto date. You should all be very proud of me. I arrive in Perth on Saturday the 29th march so keep an eye out for my regular updates. Im heading for the sunshine.

Love to everyone at home… Miss all of you kids. And a big Happy birthday To my little brother Harry on the 1st of April. I hop you get the messages mate. Love ya!

Love from a Brummy

Niki



Additional photos below
Photos: 112, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



2nd April 2008

Ah looks like so much fun! you are always surrounded by friends, you must be a nice guy! xxxxxxxxx
2nd April 2008

Hey hon!
So good to hear your latest news hon - was worried having not seen any updates for a while! Looks like you're still having a blast, which is the important thing! I'm heading Ozward next winter so hope you'll still be there then! Big hug, M. xx
14th April 2008

hey dude
looks like your still having a stonking time, which way you heading next? i'm still in nz, gonna be here awhile longer, might do oz on the way bak or myt go straight home to save some dollars to go travelling again! steve...=;o)
16th April 2008

Hey hey, good to read the update. No wonder there were bed bugs...... it was the All Nations, what do u expect! Sounds like melbs for u was drink drink drink...... how was the neighbours street? hahaha ohhhh woops i forgot to take u there!! Next time i will pull a sicky xx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb