Sydney - Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up at stupid O'clock and checked out.

Made my way a couple of blocks down to the train/bus terminal.

Was quite early so I had to hang around for a while.

Finally got going at 8:00. Not much to say apart from it was a 12hour journey with a 30min break at Canberra (looks nice but quite small). The seats werent that bad but I was lucky enough to have no one sitting next to me so I could spread out. Mainly listened to my Ipod and ate peanut butter sandwiches (plus large packet of Doritos - very healthy).

One thing I have noticed so far is the Australian interest in all things to do with war. This is very noticable having come from New Zealand (very pacifist, avoids most wars), Chile (cope d'etat past makes people wary of being proud of the armed services) plus Peru and Bolivia (Few wars to be proud of, lost all of them and the latter seems to be South Americas wiping boys). Where as the Australians with there remembrance services every day in the war memorials plus bits of military equipment on display in every town we passed (ani aircraft gun in one town centre, Field gun in other, saw a real submarine in one - which was miles away from the sea!!) are very proud. Dont know what to make of this, I guess us europeans are the same.

Made it to Melbourne at 8:00pm. While entering the city at night I was impressed by the lighting and all the bits of architectural sculpture on the way in (unlike Sydney). I had a good feeling about this place.

Found the hostel easily enough (Melbournes grid system and wide streets makes it feel like a more relaxing and less intimidating city.)

Managed to pay with my card (swipe strip still works) then went down to the 7 eleven around the corner for a sandwich and apple juice (paid the same way BUT couldnt get cash back).

the people in the hostal were relly friendly and it rather like the city was quite layed back (much needed).

Went down to the bar for a quick drink, although having no cash I had to settle for a glass of water.

Then went back had an early night sleep as I would have to get up at a resonable hour and sort out my Debit card once and for all!

Advertisement



22nd March 2007

Melbourne
Good luck with sorting your card out. My parents went to Melbourne recently and my dad dragged my mum round the MCG tour, which he said was good. Then my mum dragged him on the Neighbours tour, which he wasn't happy about, but the photos from that are my favourite photos they took on their trip, so i think definintely worth going to.
22nd March 2007

The River
Hey buddy, Have a look at the river that passes by the Casino. Thats what I swam on New Year 2001 drunk as a skunk! With the luck you seem to be having I wouldn't attempt it :)
26th March 2007

The River
Jay, one tends to forget how much of a nutter you were. River didnt look particularly clean and there were a fair few boats going up and down it.

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb