Melbourne is Very Niiiice...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
December 19th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

That's Me!bourneThat's Me!bourneThat's Me!bourne

Reflection of Flinders Station on the Visitor Centre
So I have spent the past week in Melbourne.

First, I have to thank Imran, Dino & Emma, and of course Anthony for making my stay in Melbourne absolutely fantastic.

So what did I see in Melbourne? What did I do? Surprisingly, not much. I did a lot, and saw a lot, but nothing touristy. I had debated seeing a few museums and such, but I ended up spending my days wandering around the city, enjoying the sights.

When I first got to Melbourne, after taking the overnight bus from Canberra, I made my way out of the bus station, where a very helpful fellow told me how to get to my hostel. As I waited for the tram, a few ladies asked me "Aren't you freezing?" (It was perhaps 18, or 65), and I replied, just a bit chilly. I thought it was amusing that they asked a Canadian if she was freezing in Melbourne in summer.
Anyways, when I got to my hostel, Urban Central, I found out I couldn't check into my room until 2pm. I was welcome, however, to take a shower, have the free breakfast, and lounge in the lounge-room, as well as
The Black SwanThe Black SwanThe Black Swan

By Albert Lake, south Melbourne. The city skyline should be in the background, but it was too smokey due to the bush fires
store my stuff in the storage room. So I did that...after breakfast and a shower, I wandered into Melbourne.
I wandered past Federation Square, because I wanted to see the Earth From Above photography exhibit. However, by the time I got there, the lack of sleep and the alcoholic beverages of the night before were kicking in...and I couldn't appreciate the exhibit. I wandered back to the hostel and finally got my room, and promptly went to sleep for the remainder of the afternoon. I woke up for a few hours in the evening to have tea and chat with a roommate, and then went back to sleep feeling rather feverish.
First day in Melbourne, and I didn't do squat.

So the next day, I figured I'd have to venture out a bit. I met up with Imran for lunch, then wandered around for a few hours. The rest of the time in Melbourne is a bit of a blur...not sure what happened when, and there was a break for the Great Ocean Road tour, but I'll recap what I did.

I saw the South Melbourne Markets, where I picked up a few Christmas gifts. Apparently there are even
Federation SquareFederation SquareFederation Square

Here's where I sat for hours on end, watching people and trams go by.
bigger and better markets just north of the downtown block, but I never ended up going. I went for dinner in South Melbourne and we walked along Albert Lake on a very smokey evening, commented on the bush fires and watched some black swans and other birds. Afterwards Imran and I wandered along the Yarra, and saw massive amounts of flames erupt from tall columns along the river (talk about a waste of energy), and watched a guy practice fancy rollerblade moves. Or try to practice. He had lined up about 8 plastic bottles, and bladed in and around the bottles, trying fancy footwork. Imran decided we had to outlast this guy, so we sat for a long time watching him until he packed up the bottles and skated further down the waterfront.

I saw Carlton Park and walked by the Royal Exhibition Building, where Uni of Melbourne students have exams...impressive building. I wandered through Chinatown near sunset (so I had the sun in my eyes and I didn't see much...went back another day for dinner with friends). I walked by the Parliament but didn't go in. I sat in cafes and watched people go by and enjoyed the
Sunset on the YarraSunset on the YarraSunset on the Yarra

Sculptures on a pedestrian bridge; they represent different periods in Aussie immigration. I think it just makes a cool picture!
comfortable weather.
Watched a light show near the casino, which involved a merry-go-round, a clock, lots of animated characters and of course Santa since it's the season, all set to music.

I sat for hours at Federation Square, multiple times. There I watched all sorts of people, groups singing Christmas carols, a Ukelele group, the cricket matches on a large screen, saw the photography exhibition that I finally got around to seeing properly, etc.

I went to the beach one afternoon in St. Kilda, and enjoyed sitting along the Yarra River at all times of the day. Along the Yarra is interesting street art, funky but expensive restaurants, awesome but expensive ice cream, and lots of street performers.

On the very last day in Melbourne, Anthony and I decided we had to see something touristy, so after deciding we didn't have enough time to go to the Botanical Gardens (which apparently are some of the most impressive in the world, but I'll report on that next time), we ended up trying to see an exhibit at the National Gallery of Victoria. Turns out the particular exhibit we wanted to see was at some other museum
Inside the NGVInside the NGVInside the NGV

Artsy photo from inside an artsy place
and was closed on Tuesdays, so we had a wander around the NGV instead. Some really neat stuff, and I think it's worth going back to have a second, less-rushed look.

Then it was off to the airport to fly to Adelaide. I really loved Melbourne, and I plan on going back.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Flinders StationFlinders Station
Flinders Station

Across the street from Federation Square, this train station is impressive.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb