"And on the Third Day..."


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
February 5th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, it was the third day in which God created land and water, separated them, then filled them with all sorts of plant life and "fruit-bearing" trees etc. I've certainly seen much evidence of this in a relatively short period of time!

Yesterday, I took a tour out to the south east coastline called, "The Great Ocean Road". So much of this drive was breathtaking with its dramatic scenes of waves crashing against the cliffs, turquoise waters gleaming against an array of multi-coloured monoliths and we also had several opportunities during the drive to see animals in the wild. At one point we spotted two kangaroos eating some plants in the distance, koalas in the wild, snoring blissfully in tall treetops and even a kukaburro bird sitting pensively in a tree, totally ignoring our squeals of delight and snapping cameras.

Much of the ocean scenery has many stories to tell...predominantly ones involving shipwrecks of yore, with remnants still visible in some areas of the rock and beach. Oddly enough, the twelve imposing stone structures located in one stretch of ocean are called, "The Twelve Apostles". A pastoral name for sure but in the end, responsible for the deaths of many a ship hundreds of years before.

At one point we were able to walk through a small section of the rainforest. The size of some of the trees, hundreds of years old, was impressive! Such a peaceful walk with such a diverse range of vegetation...so silent, yet we are fully aware that there is much activity taking place that is invisible to the human eye.

I bow down to the glory of Mother Nature. In such a short time, she has amazed me with her magical collection of flora and fauna alike. She also amazes me, because in the end, we cannot control the decisions she makes for us...the northern part of Australia barely survived a Category Five cyclone, the size of Europe hours before! And in Melbourne itself, a sudden tropical storm hit the city and created floodwaters all over. Cars looked like boats as they careened through certain sections of the city....people were ankle deep in water as they scurried to find shelter.

When I arrived back at the hotel, the entire lobby was flooded with water. Towels were strewn helter skelter all over the floor. All of the clerks were barefoot as were the cafe waitresses who were serving their chilled Chardonnay's in pretty skirts with lovely lacquered toenails staring up at you from the floor. It was sheer madness as the rain thundered down from the sky!

Today, it is much calmer. The hotel has hired workers who are busily repairing the damage to the first floor with all of the water in the carpets and down the stairwells. Life goes on again in Melbourne...they have quickly accepted the monarchy of Mother Nature and just needed that little "jolt" last night to remind all of us of Her gifts and more importantly, Her power.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



5th February 2011

:)
I really enjoyed reading this... and notes on nature. She is ancient, and surprises, and scares.
6th February 2011

"And on the Third Day..."
My Darling you should write a book about your travels!! I so look forward to each and every entry, it is like I am right there with you enjoying and experiencing everything through you, haha You have a gift there Kevin, you can bring us right into the rain forest, feel what you feel, see what you see, it is such a delight to say the least. I love this one especially, and the pictures are amazing. They are very good, you are a photographer as well, Dad would have Loved these and would be choosing which ones to paint, I could see it now...... Enjoy each and every day, I'm enjoying it with you. JUDE

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb