Irene's Birthday - Brunswick


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Brunswick
July 29th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Meet Annie and Dave on Brunswick and ended up in Cape Cafe dancing to hip hop and early 90's music. Irene had a great chat with a Tazzie man about how she was a private investigator and was based in Oz as there was more work there but she was considering moving to Taz as they seem to cut up bodies a lot over there. This was based on Toby's story regarding the mad family (known all over Tazzie apparently), where the mother died and the father chopped her up as he didn't want the kids to see her dead.

At one stage during the night, we turned around from where we were dancing only to see this 60 year old (or older) man, with his face pressed to the window staring in at us all.....literally face pressed against the glass! Because the place was also a cafe during the day we were right beside the window which faced the side walk. Even when we all waved at him he just kept on staring...weird!

We also met a bunch of random Irish who really believed Irene's name was Heidi...and sang Heidi, Heidi, Heidi Ho down the street at her. I think it is the most sucessful name yet....

Ended up in Revolver, with the most monosyllabic taxi man yet.
“Do you think we should go to Honky Tonks or Revolver?”
“That depends”
“Depends?”
“Depends on you”
All delivered in the most robotic tone ever.

Of course we also had Irene’s new friend Sam in the taxi who was worried that Irene wanted to marry him for a visa…even though she reassured him that it was simply to get her leg over. Then he just didn’t want to believe that we were in a band the Wallulas?!
However, our taxi man on the way home made up for it as he told us the story of where Hungry Jacks originated. Burger King is called Hungry Jacks over here and after our rambling conversation wondering about the origins of the name he obviously felt the need to interject with the correct story…..
When Burger King decided to expand its operations into Australia, it found that its business name was already trademarked by a man running a small takeaway food shop. Consequently, the first Australian franchise of the Burger King Corporation, established in Perth in 1971, was branded Hungry Jack's, echoing the name and sentiment of the franchisee, Jack Cowin.
When the existing Australian trademark for Burger King lapsed, the American parent company wanted Cowin to change the Hungry Jack's outlets back to the Burger King name. Cowin resisted the change, and the disagreement ended in a court case. In 2001, Hungry Jack's won the case, and Burger King was ordered to pay $75 million to Hungry Jack's for breach of its franchise agreement.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb