The Long & Winding Road...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Lakes Entrance
June 26th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So a big day today, we woke up to rain still pouring down on us, relentless from the night before. Not really being abole to go for the walk we wanted in the national park, we decided to hit the road early and headed for Eden, arriving just before lunch, 250km later. Still raining, we hid in the van having lunch. Eden is an old whaling town where apparently the killer whales in the region helped the whalers to catch other whales in return for a reward. I don't know how true this is, but they do have a thing for killer whales there, they even have a dedicated museum! No break in the rain meant we decide to carry on to the next town. This turned out to be the most deserted stretch of road I have ever seen, we must have driven almost 100 miles and passed only trees. From what I have found out since, it is a part of Australias Rainforest, we certainly had the weather for it!

We passed the next town and decided not to stop as it was still wet and early and we also passed the one after that without noticing it.
...and the morning after
In the end, we stopped 600km later at Lakes entrance having driven all day. At first we thought we were in heaven, there was a free campsite with stoves, toilets and places to park but our luck was soon to change. We settled down for the night happy in the fact that we were finally parked somewhere we knew we were allowed. It wasnt long before we were woken by the violent swaying of the van and thundering rain. Gale force winds had hit Lakes Entrance making for a very uneasy night. So much so we had to move the van so that the wind couldn't turn it over, it really was that strong. We did manafge to settle again at 6am and after a soaked dash to the toilet.

Waking the next morning there was water everywhere and a tree down less than 100 yards from the van. The rain was still going too! We hu8ng around for a bit hoping it would die down, but no such luck. Regrettfully we had to forgo our stroll along 90 mile beach due to high winds and torrential rain so we set off again for the
Our MascotOur MascotOur Mascot

Monkey watching the rainy road ahead as we passed through the rainforest
next place...

Advertisement



2nd July 2007

monkey
Think you'll have to get mascot monkey a mate. You'll be fighting over who keeps him when you get back. Let's see more pictures of monkey in unusual and memorable places please. Would have been great to see him ride bareback on a kangaroo!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb