Day 3 - The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
March 30th 2015
Published: April 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Barwon Heads re-packBarwon Heads re-packBarwon Heads re-pack

The Caravan Park is right on the River (Barwon) which runs in to Bass Strait. The road runs right along the coast and across to Torquay.
We were very tired after our long sea journey and so it was a struggle to get out of the Barwon Heads Caravan Park before 10am. We drove down to the beach (about one minute away) and re-checked the bikes on the rack and re-packed a few things.

We had decided to take the scenic route to Adelaide because Georgi had never been on the Great Ocean Road (GOR) and it must have been about thirty years since I had driven the road. It's a classic road trip so...let's begin.

Torquay is the surf capital of the world - a long time ago it used to have small shops selling surf wear. Now it has factories making and selling the same. It's a different culture down here. You are quite likely to see the plumbers van at the beach (we did) when the surf is up. Plumbing stuff inside the van, board on top. Same for lots of other people who choose to live here.

Anglesea has a river, plus surf beach and another beach around the corner. We stopped at the scenic outlook and read about the history of local shipwrecks.

Airey's Inlet has a great
Georgi at Bells BeachGeorgi at Bells BeachGeorgi at Bells Beach

Bells Beach proper was being set up for the Easter classic surfing competition and large vehicles were prohibited so we drove next door to check out the surfers.
lighthouse just off the road that you can tour. Unfortunately, there was no suitable parking for motorhomes. We squeezed into a spot across from a coffee shop, had coffee and then moved on.

Lorne has always been the posh town on the GOR and nothing has changed. Restaurants, huge hotels and boutiques abound. It's the Noosa of the GOR. It was very busy and we drove straight though Lorne.

Mount Defiance Lookout has excellent coastal views plus plaques commemorating the GOR and the story of William Buckley, who lived with the local aboriginal tribe for over thirty years.

Apollo Bay has a great protected beach and is the last beach before you head inland to skirt the rugged coastline of Cape Otway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Great Ocean Road Commemorative PlaqueGreat Ocean Road Commemorative Plaque
Great Ocean Road Commemorative Plaque

The story of the "Road" is a true Aussie legend.
The Road winds around the cliffs The Road winds around the cliffs
The Road winds around the cliffs

Around every corner is another photo opportunity.
Another plaqueAnother plaque
Another plaque

This one is at Mount Defiance Lookout.
Almost Easter Egg timeAlmost Easter Egg time
Almost Easter Egg time

Lenny found this egg but couldn't carry it back to the bus!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb