Straight Up The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Back on the road so might as well return to the blogging, had 5 very pleasant but hectic days back in London catching up etc then on Thursday 18th got my Quantas flight back to Australia, was a bit windy so had a terrifying bumpy take off, had a classic turbulence 'plunge' that had people on the plane either screaming or laughing.

Stopover was Hong Kong, so i can say I've been there but quite honestly that's all I'm qualified to say. Arrived in Melbourne and was no trouble getting back in on my visa thank god. Noticed the friendlyness of the immigration/info staff so that was encouraging.

Got the handy Skybus into town and got to my friends flat Roisin (who I met on the Easyrider tour on the Westcoast last year) kindly giving me a berth for my first night.

Next day no rest for the jetlagged though, time for a road trip with Roisin and her friend from home Anglea, we picked up a Holden Commodore (special deal through a work code made it affordable) cruised up the Great Ocean Road, highlight of the first day was the 12 Apostles, not least a 15 minute
CoPilot MacleanCoPilot MacleanCoPilot Maclean

Well not really, not in the back seat
Helicopter Ride over them, nearly screamed when the pilot showed us what the little fella could do but it was not so bad, i consider myself a bit of an aviator these days. Spent the night in Port Fairy.

Next day was a lot of driving up the coast into South Australia, highlight was getting close up to a couple of Kangaroos when we went for a little walk. and eventually pulled into Goolaff for a night in an Irish Motel. next day was an amble round but the highlight was little Crockery Bay next to Port Victor, not many backpackers will see that. Then down to Cape Jervis to catch the ferry to Kangaroo Island which I missed last time around.

Great to be back in Australia, it really does seemso familiar, and I love a country that has a handy bakery open in every town. Jetlag not great on a road trip but luckily the back of a Commodre is excellent for napping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stunning BeachStunning Beach
Stunning Beach

not the 'bondi' type, the wild secluded type.
Ocean RoadOcean Road
Ocean Road

I was in the back sleeping off my jetlag most of the way
Helicopter ViewHelicopter View
Helicopter View

From the Back Seat
Picnic in the CarPicnic in the Car
Picnic in the Car

The Weather was awfull that day


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb