The noisy Grampians


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Grampians
December 6th 2007
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Noisy land

You gotta love big green bugs!

Once we deceided we were done with Warrnambool and were definetly not ready to work yet we needed some adventure so we got out the Lonely planet. Just a bit away was The Grampians, mountain area, no beaches. This was our first big camping adventure. What a night! The drive was great the scenery was a nice change from the coast more of a rugged/desert look. We went to the over populated Halls Gap with 300 people within the grampians to camp. Apparently we picked the best time to visit because at the same time these wonderful huge green cricket looking bugs were visiting as well. We were told they come like every 4 years or something and they weren't suppose to be there for another year, lucky us! They come to mate in the trees and of course mostly the trees just above our tents. While they mate they make this loud screeching noise the whole time, luckily mostly in the day. So we tried to stay away from the campground as much as possible. We checked out a couple of water falls, and scenic spots. The grampians are suppose to be really good for rock climbing but we never got the opportunity, i wish we could have. The really cool thing about the grampians are all the kangaroos. They were everywhere! We even had an awesome sighting right outside our tent the next morning, you could hear and seem them jumping around with there little joeys. We were definetly up early that morning from the screeching crazy bugs, seriously they were loud. You couldn't even hear yourself think, if you stayed around them too long you would get a headache, and it was non stop! But all in all the Grampians were a pretty cool place. I have to say though you really get attached to the ocean scenery. Even being away from it for a couple of days is hard, I have no idea what we are going to do when we have to go home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The noisy bugsThe noisy bugs
The noisy bugs

I usually love anything green but not these guys!


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb