New Zealand


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Geelong
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I can’t belive how fast everything is going, it is already week 12 of the semester, and 10 days in New Zealand went by so fast! New Zealand was amazing, we spent 10 days exploring all over the South Island. Here is just a quick over view of what we did.

Day 1- We went from Christchurch to Fox Glacier. It was a long day of driving, but we saw some really great parts of the country.
Day 2- Climbed Fox Glacier, it was actually really difficult to do but so pretty when we reached the top. Sadly it rained the whole time and made it a little harder but it was worth it. It is really strange to think that that glacier starts in the mountains and ends in the middle of a rain forest.
Day 3- Another all day travel day to Queenstown. We stopped a beautiful lake that on a calm day the mountains are reflected in the lake. We even found a park to play in during lunch. Finally after hours of driving we got to Queenstown with plenty of time to explore the city.
Day 4- Jet Boats, helicopter rides, and class 4 whitewater rafting all day. It was a great way to start off in Queenstown, all of it was so much fun but the river was so cold all day long. My favorite was the jet boats, we went through the canyon so fast, past the cliffs by just inches.
Day 5- I jumped from a 440ft bungy jump! It is the 3rd highest in the world, and was amazing! We did a sky swing over the city of Queenstown, and an alpine luge down on of the mountains.
Day 6- We tried to go sky diving, but the weather was too windy so the day was spent exploring all different parts of Queenstown. It is easily my new favorite city, there are so many crazy things to do there, and is surrounded by beautiful mountains and lakes.
Day 7- We drove through the mountains again to Milford Sound and went on a half day boat cruise around the lake, through the fjords. It was beautiful but it was pouring rain the whole day, so we spent the whole time in the cabin of the boat. I have never so many waterfall in my life.
Day 8- Under a giant waterfall we found glow worm caves. We stayed in Dundin which was another really cool old city.
Day 9- We explored a sheep farm outside of Christchurch, with lots of little lambs and calves. I even saw some Highlands as we were driving around the countryside.
Day 10- We stayed an extra day in Christchurch and spend the day exploring the city, even the church at the center of the city. New Zealand was for sure the best spring break I have even done!

Finally we had to go back to Deakin and now it is back to assignments, and lectures. I only have 2 more weeks of classes, study week, 2 exams and am done! It is crazy how fast time has gone here. Sadly no more big adventures planned for a while just lots of school work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th October 2008

Looks like fun!
What a great experience you're having! Were you able to resist the temptation to take "grandma shots" of the highlands you saw? Keep having fun, and take lots of pictures! - Mark,Cheryl and the kids.
14th October 2008

love your pics!!!
Hey Katie! Loved seeing you pics. Sounds like you are having a great time. I really liked seeing Milford Sound when I was in NZ. The South Island is so beautiful. Seeing the pic of you with the baby lamb reminded me of lambing at my aunt and uncle's farm in Iowa. Have fun and be safe!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb