Eagle Point / Wilsons Prom / Foster / Doncaster East, VIC


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Doncaster
April 13th 2011
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

20 March - 12 April 2011

Deja vu - crossed the border once again.

We found ourselves at a bit of a strange campground at Eagle Point which is near Paynesville in Victoria. The campground was pretty ordinary but the moon rising over the water was gorgeous.

Hitting the bichumen again early the next morning we just couldn't resist revisiting Wilsons Prom. Unfortunately we only spent one (very eventful) night there due to the erratic weather and when the ranger paid us a visit to let us know things were about to get a whole lot worse, we decided to get out of there ASAP! We packed up late in the afternoon in the torrential rain and cyclonic winds - inches of water already covering the ground. Even the drive out of the Prom was pretty sketchy. We headed to the nearest town (Foster) where we spent a night in a motel and found out the following morning that the Prom had been completely cut off - Darby Saddle Bridge had been washed away. This meant all the campers that decided to stay had to be airlifted out the following day and they weren't able to return to collect their campers/caravans/cars/tents/etc until 3 weeks later. By then, of course, most of them would have been completely written off. We feel so lucky we packed up when we did and got out of there. Who knows what would have happened if we had stayed... We heard the last some people saw of their caravan was the water up to the indoor dining table and rising.

After leaving Foster, we heard on the news that a lot of Foster had also been evacuated just after we left. Starting to get the feeling that something big (possibly mother nature herself) is hot on our tails!!

One of the warmest memories (no pun intended) of Doncaster East (or should I say Warrandyte Lynna?) is the sunshine.. So good to have sunshine with no ferocious storms or mud looming. It was so nice to catch up with Alex's family again and Livvy came and bunked down with us one night and we all went to ScienceWorks which was a good outing for the boys. Still think Liv & Reef could almost pass as twins... It was a shame we didn't have more time in Melbourne to spend with the family and catching up on things..

We did Fitzroy Gardens one day but mostly just spent the time catching up on things while Alex spent a few days working. One memorable moment was little Osc learnt to coast on his bike which he (and us) were super thrilled about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb