Phillip Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Cowes
February 11th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -38.4727, 145.245

On Friday we drove down to Phillip Island and checked in to the Ramada Resort near Cowes.

Had an interesting visit to the small Churchill Island near the bridge. Lots to see and do at Phillip Island; we enjoyed a great couple of days there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Churchill Is horsesChurchill Is horses
Churchill Is horses

These two Clydesdales were carefully grooming each other. They came over for a brief pat then resumed.
Great "nibbles" dinnerGreat "nibbles" dinner
Great "nibbles" dinner

We peaked a little early on the alcohol consumption, but had a fun evening playing dominoes. We finished off Jim's Muscat, just gorgeous!
More visitorsMore visitors
More visitors

We had met Nancy and Peter Spargo on our Burma holiday and enjoyed their company. They drove over from Lakes Entrance for the day and we had a good catch-up and had a refresher on playing Blitz - a fun card game with $3 stakes. Pairs of these Cape Barren geese were all over the island...
Phillip Is Grand Prix CircuitPhillip Is Grand Prix Circuit
Phillip Is Grand Prix Circuit

The 4.6km circuit was built in 1956 and has had several ups and downs since then. It is still used for car and bike racing. We had fun racing slot cars on a replica of the track. There was also a serious go-cart track - I'd like to try that sometime...
Point GrantPoint Grant
Point Grant

At the westernmost tip of the island. Thousands of seals on the small island off the coast and squillions of Little Penguin burrows, interspersed with wooden box nests.
Little Penguin roostLittle Penguin roost
Little Penguin roost

The penguins live here all year round. They go out fishing before dawn and return to their nests at last light. This little fellow stayed home.
Penguin ParadePenguin Parade
Penguin Parade

Thousands (literally) of spectators arrive by the bus load to watch the penguins come ashore at night. There are probably more people than penguins and we couldn't see the value in paying $25 each to partake. See the bleachers behind the beach?
Woolamai Mutton Bird RookeriesWoolamai Mutton Bird Rookeries
Woolamai Mutton Bird Rookeries

The southern tip of the island is the home to perhaps 500,000 mutton birds, or Shearwaters. These migrate to the Aleutian Islands each year and return in November until April. We went on a twilight walk to the cliffs and returned after dark. We saw many birds and watched one renovating its burrow - very interesting.
Cape WoolamaiCape Woolamai
Cape Woolamai

Waiting for the Shearwaters at last light. Daylight saving is great. Can't see it happening in Qld though.


7th May 2017

Very Cute.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb