Genocide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Chirnside Park
August 31st 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Relative Calm before the Storm (1950 to 1962)




1950 t0 1962 saw a greater push by the Rwandans both Hutu and Tutsi for Independence. The Hutus who were becoming more and more educated demanded change in the political administration and greater Hutu recognition. In 1957 the Hutu intellectuals demanded that the United Nations hand over Rwandan administration over to them (the Hutu majority) pointing out the injustices and inequalities that were occurring within the country.

The Catholic Church at this point were also becoming very proactive in there support for the Hutus and actively championed their cause. At this point in Rwandan history the Belgium Government which had for so long been Tutsi supporters now changed allegiances and began to support the Hutu cause in the name of fairness and democracy.

In July 1959 sporadic violence broke out between Tutsis and Hutus and around 300 Rwandans died and 1231 arrested by the Belgium authorities. Belgium instigated military rule and began replacing Tutsi leadership with Hutu Leadership. Prior to colonization these two ethnic groups had lived in relative peace for generations. Now Tutsis where fleeing the country in large numbers.

In 1962 Independence was granted to Rwanda and a Hutu Government was formed under the leadership of Kayibanda. That year 150 Tutsis were killed in the Butare area, 5000 homes were burnt down and 22,000 people displaced. During this year violence continued against the Tutsis and up to 135,000 Tutsis had fled to neighbouring countries. Paul Kagame was one of them. He was 3 years old.

Genocide The Gathering Storm Clouds (1962 to 1994)



After gaining control of the Government the Hutus implemented the 9%!r(MISSING)ule. This rule was based on the fact that Tutsi’s made up approximately 9%!o(MISSING)f the population so they where given 9%!o(MISSING)f places in schools, 9%!o(MISSING)f jobs, both Government and Non Government etc. Tutsis who lived over the border made sporadic raids into Rwanda resulting in large reprisals on the Tutsi population still within Rwanda. By 1963 10,000 Tutsis had been killed. This pattern of violence continued during the Kayiband led Government and into the Habyarimana Government (MRND). It is interesting to note that during the time of Habyarimana led Government (he was re-elected leader in 1978, 83 and 88 unopposed as there where no other candidates who stood against him) the Tutsi problem was relatively quiet as most of the fighting occurred between Hutus from the North and Hutus from the South. It was a Northern dominated Government.

The 80s saw great displacements of the Tutsi population throughout the whole area of Rwanda. In 1987 after a number of name changes the RPF (Rwandan Patriotic Front) was born and was supported not only by exiled Tutsis but also a number of prominent Hutu moderates. In 1990 the RPF invaded the N.E. of Rwanda but were defeated by Rwandan MRND troops (National Army) with assistance from French, German and Zairian troops. However the scare was there and Habyarimana started to increase the Army and obtain extra arms support from other countries such as America, South Africa and France. As the tension rose solutions were sought but nothing implemented. By November 1990 the Rwandan Army began to train and arm the Hutu civilian militia known as the “Interahamwe”.

By 1992 the RPF now led by now led by Paul Kagame was increasing in numbers (including displaced Hutus) and was claiming to be fighting for Rwandan Freedom and the rights of all Rwandans not just Tutsis. With increasing International pressure to bring around political reform and power sharing with the moderate Hutus and RPF the then Hutu President signed the Arusha Agreement. The problem with the agreement was that although it was signed the Hutu and Tutsi hardliners saw the agreement as unsatisfactory and it was never implemented. The Anti-Tutsi campaign throughout the country intensified and Tutsis were referred to as “the enemy” in dehumanising and vilifying terms. Many Tutsis (particularly prominent ones) saw the writing on the wall and started to leave the country.

On the 6th of April as Prime Minister Habyarimana’s plane was preparing to land at Kigali airport after the Arusha Agreement had been signed it was shot down. It was never discovered who destroyed the plane but it did light the fuse to an extremely bloody time in Rwanda.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.3kb