Sovereign Hill


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Ballarat
May 4th 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is an open-air museum about Victoria's Gold Rush in the 1850's, they've recreated the township during those times in this place of about 25 hectares.

Staff and volunteers there are actually dressed in 1850's costumes and go about their daily routine as if they lived in those times. The stores are recreations of the 1850's, with real craftsmen at work in the 1850's trades.

You can spend about 3 hours here, easy. Really interesting and staff and volunteers have so much knowledge about those times and the history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Township.Township.
Township.

This place is huge, and everything is reminiscent of the 1850's.
Candle-maker.Candle-maker.
Candle-maker.

Actual craftsmen at work in trades of that time.
Lollies!Lollies!
Lollies!

The candy shop is to die for. Dad and I took about an hour to finish a lolly from there.
Redcoat Soldiers.Redcoat Soldiers.
Redcoat Soldiers.

Close your ears when they fire!!
Working horses.Working horses.
Working horses.

I was in awe of the size of these horses. They're huge!!
School.School.
School.

Yes, it is an actual school overseen by the Victorian Government, with curriculum following those times. They are actual teachers and students.
Home.Home.
Home.

Cosy house in the 1850's
Sign.Sign.
Sign.

Every detail is done according to those times.
Locals.Locals.
Locals.

Dad with one of the staff who 'lived' in the tents.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb