Gold country and Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Ballarat
July 20th 2009
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another chance to see Australia arose when i was able to take some leave early on Friday afternoon and head east to the 'big smoke'.
The buses out of Mt Gambier leave twice daily, once at 8.15am and then again at 2.25pm, eventually connecting with a train at either Warnambool (coastal scenic route) or inland to Ballarat. The inland bus route to Ballarat takes in lovely pastures in western Victoria, rolling countryside and small traffic-free roads worthy of some good cycling I'm sure. Hamilton, Victoria, is a base for visiting the Grampians in the southwestern corner, and similar sized to Mt Gambier, but things really get bigger once you reach Ballarat.

If you hanker for a good transport network, University town feel, that has enough size to warrant a theatre for travelling shows and movies, this is not a bad spot....if you can cope with the cool winds and dry heat that summers are evidently renound for, and love cycling or jogging on the flat, go no further!
I have to say Ballarat appealed to me, not least because it is bigger than Mt Gambier, but that it is VERY cycle friendly (like it's big sister Melbourne), compact, has cultural attractions like the largest rural art gallery in Australia, modern hospital and aquatic/ leisure facilities within walking distance of the central features....perhaps a job coming up soon? In order to increase appeal, the town would have to install a seaside promenade and warm summer water and waves to paddle in the complete the picture - fishing and surfing in Ballarat perhaps?? Perhaps not...

After satisfying a cultural urgency to see the gallery, jogging the large dry lake with only puddles to speak of, and wandering the gorgeous architecture unique to this gold hunting town, it was off on one of the hourly trains (Saturday) to Melbourne Southern Cross station to meet Theresa - the trip takes one hour and has lovely views of the Otways and the descent from the plateau that inland Victoria sits upon.
Meeting up again in the metropolis of Melbournme was neat, and great change from monocultural Mt Gambier. First plan was for a show called Melbourne Ink, profiling street art and it's acceptance (or not?) within the community. Dedicated lanes, especially Union Lane, are composed of fairly modern/ contemporary art forms, and the artists get permission from owners of the buildings to ensure it is legal. then there is the illegal works of caligraphy called tags - after the movie at th Australia Centre For Moving Images in Federation Square, we endured a heated panel discussion with several rational folk and stoners putting their voices forwards, at time without regard for other members of the audience - it made sleepy listening! But the French accent of the Producer doing his Masters Thesis kept my attention to stop me from completely falling asleep with travel/ work fatigue as I almost did! A fitting end to this was wandering the streets to see it in real life, and then on to Chinatown to a restaurant that was so authentically Western-Chinese it reeked of Beijing, 2 years ago! I got my steamed buns and dumplings in the end, but they were not a patch on the tasty Xian May 1st dumplings, for equivalent 20c.

After a lie in and heaps of chat, we headed to the Yarra markets on Sunday for some browsing. Came across this mad performer with poodles painted fluoro pink and green, and some amazing hand made felt scarves and shawls, some particularly pricey at $450AUD! 12 hours of work though almost warrants that. Also some great paintings of Melbourne harbour done in acrylics on canvas, and the usual oils and soaps which i could not pass up on - $12 for large bottle of pure tea tree oil, a bargain! back tracked at lunchtime to the Queen Victorai markets, for some deli food, nuts and yummy fruit on sale, and then back down to meet my other friend for an afternoon at the Art Gallery. Sadly, we missed Salvador Dali as the queues were 45 minutes long, and with an early closure, it was better to see the free exhibitions which are very much worth a look ( one on Jane Austen clothing, and another on Outer Space 40 years since we landed on the moon - conspiracy or not??). After wandering back to China town we could not pass up another dinner out and had n average Vietnamese Pho and spring rolol combination at the start of the Chinatown area - not wonderful and does not taset as good as being the eastern end of Victoria Road as we did last time.

The trip back to Mt Gambier takes a long time, and after training it to Warnambool (3.5hours, 7pm
Mighty happy with my purchase..Mighty happy with my purchase..Mighty happy with my purchase..

Came across the greatest Salvos shop ever! A pinch at $3, and dream fulfilled to ear a pink ear dangler...
departure) I managed to elave a bag on the train to my surprise - fortunately I can pick it up tonight and also fortunately, it is dry and not wet today in the Gambier! Double score! The bus connected at Warnambool at 10.30pm VIC time, and then got to Lady Nelson at about 1.30am local time (SA). Sufficiently sleep deprived and all talked out through my train companion that was ex-Air NZ pilot, I am due an early night.

Until the next adventure, the Flinders Ranges in 12 days time......


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Melbourne skylineMelbourne skyline
Melbourne skyline

Theresa and I
Spec-less?Spec-less?
Spec-less?

Having lost a lense, doing my best Kirk Penny from INXS impression..


Tot: 0.405s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb