Travelling Back in Time


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Ballarat » Sovereign Hill
September 16th 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Panning for GoldPanning for GoldPanning for Gold

Trying to get rich in Sovereign Hill
Maureen who was also temping at the State Bank invited another girl, Debbie, Mike and myself over to her place in Ballarat for the weekend. This is located about an hour outside Melbourne (a stone's throw by Australian standards) and is famous for an old, historic gold mining settlement called Sovereign Hill.

Maureen gave us all the guided tour. Ballarat was the scene of one of Australia's bloodiest conflicts between soldiers and miners demanding a better way of life. This was known as the Eureka Stockade and resulted in the massacre of most of the miners.

Sovereign Hills is still kept as it was back in the 19th century and the people who work there still dress as they did back then. There was a school room there where we were given lessons as they would have been back then and we also had the opportunity to pan for gold. Apparently, there a small amount of gold was regularly thrown in for the tourists to find, but we were out of luck.

We noticed that all the flags flying here were Union Jacks, not the Southern Cross, so us colonial tyrants were obviously running the show back then.
Back to SchoolBack to SchoolBack to School

In a Sovereign Hill class room


After an evening in the pub and the consequential hangover the following morning, we had a look around Geelong, Victoria's second city, and a beach resort called Tourquay. I wonder where they got the idea of calling a beach resort Tourquay. For that matter if you were to look at any train time-table in Victoria most of the names were familiar from back in the colonial motherland. God save the Queen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sovereign Hill FlagSovereign Hill Flag
Sovereign Hill Flag

Proud to be British
Sovereign HillSovereign Hill
Sovereign Hill

The Sovereign Hill mine
Sovereign Hill ViewSovereign Hill View
Sovereign Hill View

Sovereign Hill from the mine tower


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb