Great Ocean Road - Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
February 28th 2013
Published: February 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Due to the constant drizzle all day, we found ourselves tent bound, with only a walk to the shops for some essentials. (beer & chippies)

This morning, rain, hail or shine, we were determined to go for a ride, so we took off early before the low clouds changed our minds.

We headed inland and up to a little village called Forrest, on to Barwon Downs (a quick comfort stop). It was chilly up in the highlands, but for the most part sunny. We travelled on some beautiful back roads with only local traffic to keep us company.

Bells Beach was our destination, and it had decided not to show any of its qualities and looked just like any other beach.....After a few photos, we continued along the same route that we had taken a few days earlier, the only difference this time, was the photographer, was sitting on the back of 'heidi' snapping away merrily. Seeing it the second time gave us the opportunity to really appreciate all its rugged beauty.

For those of you who have not driven/ridden this road, it really should be on your "bucket list" and for those who have, Why didn't you tell us how incredable it all is?

A return to camp, for a hot milo and dry, warmer clothes..........Just be aware, for those who are comtemplating the ride on the GOR, generally the surface is in fablous condition, but there are a couple of spots that badly need some work.

Advertisement



28th February 2013

GOR
Have to agree with you about the road. Parts definitely need some work. Shame about the weather, but at least you got out for a while. Did you shop at Torquay. Got every brand of surf gear you can imagine there. Bells was a highlight for me last time there. Surfed there as a wild 19 year old and went back as a "mild hog" 37 years later. How perspectives and pastimes change.

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb