Apollo Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
January 8th 2013
Published: January 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Which size are you?Which size are you?Which size are you?

Shoes on the fence
Apollo Bay
We left Portland and took the B100 the Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay. It was warm and sunny with beautiful blue skies and the land either side of the road was yellow either with hay to be harvested or grasses or we found grazing cattle. It looked like Dorset on a hot dry summer day. We stopped at Port Fairy for a coffee and read in the window of a shop, 'the best small town to live in' we walked around then took a drive and it is a really pretty place with a river and boats moored up alongside the jetty. The beach has white sand and spread out all along the bay. There were lots of people about and the place seemed lively, this is where we should have spent the evening, ah well you can't get it all right. On our journey we passed a fence covered with old shoes had to stop and take a picture. Leaving Port Fairy we took the road to Warrnambool which is a very large seaside town but we did not feel tempted to stop here. We stopped to look at some rock formations out on the coast like 'London Bridge and 'the Arch' We drove on to Port Campbell which was surprisingly small, a few shops and restaurants and small beach. The winds increased and we decided to move on. We took a road out to see 'the twelve apostles' but as we reached there the heavens opened so we had a rainy day picnic in the car. We walked out and had it been a lovely day we would have walked down to this amazing beach however to prevent drowning we went back to the car. Driving on we took a left turn off the road and parked. We then walked under the main road to see the 12 apostles not the ones we had seen earlier. They are quite impressive but what was more impressive was the wind that virtually blew us over- well not quite. The time was pressing and we felt we had to get to Apollo Bay. We stopped at an information centre to get a map and directions to the YHA. On arrival it seemed an OK place to stay, so we dumped our bags and labelled our food for the fridge. Steve thought it looked a bit like wormwood scrubs but thankfully no peep holes in the door, really it wasn't that bad. However we took ourselves to the cinema to see Les Miserables. The cinema was a church hall with a large screen so settled on upright chairs and a bag of popcorn we started to watch the film. Where did 2.5 hours go? What an amazing film, better than the stage show in that it was totally understandable for me at least and the actors especially Anne Hathaway brought me to tears. By now we were starving not having eaten since 1 pm so we called in at the local Thai and it was OK. Met some people there from Melbourne who gave us the lowdown on what to see and not bother with as far as they were concerned. Our YHA beckoned but I was desperate for chocolate and there in the bowl was the last Turkish delight. Steve is jabbering in my left ear some rubbish about escaping from Colditz and his voice is so loud and everyone can understand English !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb