Taz In Tazmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
January 15th 2007
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well the head needed a good rest and relaxation after the festivities of xmas and new year and Tazmania was just the place to do it. Nothing but miles of stunning scenery, like Cradle Mountain and the chilled out white beaches of the East coast.
We arrived in Launceston on 5th from Sydney and stayed in a little motor inn for the night. The next day we picked up our transport for the next 5 days, and it didn't inspire us with much confidence! It was a clapped out Suzuki Swift with dents and bangs all over it. By the time we filled her up with all our bags i didn't think we'd get up the tiny hill nearby let alone the mountains of Taz! But for what we payed we didn't expect anything better so on we went. We headed north up to Beauty Point. We went to Platapus World which was very interesting. Not a very big place but the guides are very good at telling you about all the native animals of Oz. We also saw Echidnas, funny looking animals a bit like Porcupines. After that we travelled around Devonport and to the Chocolate factory. Had loads of free samples and we all ate till we were nearly sick! Late afternoon we decided it would be a good idea to find somewhere to stay for the night. The rain started and the girls didnt fancy camping it so we tried getting a hostel in Devonport. Everywhere was full and it was now evening and pouring it down. We decided to travel to Burnie where we managed to stay in a cabin for the night which was really nice but the rain was torential by now and was very hard to sleep!

The next day we got up early and travelled south and went to the Honey and Cheese factory where there were yet more free samples! Its cool all this free stuff because we got so full we didn't have to spend money on dinner! We then headed to Cradle Mountain which all of us were looking forward to. Unfortunatley we did'nt get to see much as the fog and rain had come in and was very hard to see anything! Bit dissapointed but thats Taz for you. We decided to tavel around the national park to get near Hobart for the next day. We stayed in a cabin at Lake St Clair, a very scenic area of the park. There were loads of hikers staying there as the area is a mecca for walkers and bushwalkers. The Overland track between Cradle Valley and Lake St Clair is a spectacular 80km long walk and around 100 people a day set off on it. Bit to far for us though so we opted not to take part!

On Monday we headed for Hobart, Tazmania's capital. Its a very attractive city, backed by Mt Wellington, and has a Georgian feel about it with the old buildings. We went to an Irish pub and had some grub. The barman was a scouser and told us to go to the Wildlife park just outside Hobart which he said we'd enjoy. It was really cool. We were given food on entry to feed the Kangaroos that roam the fields. They just come up to you and take the food from your hand whilst you stroke them, very wkd! We saw the famous Tazmanian Devil, more Echidnas, Koalas, Kookaburras and a few other animals. We then headed back into the city and stayed in a hostel for the night.

The next day we headed down to the Tasman Peninsula and Port Arthur.The peninsula is famous for the convict ruins at Port Arthur and for its magnificient 300m-high cliffs and beautiful beaches and bays. We went to the incredible coastal formations such as Tessellated Pavements, Blowhole, Devils Kitchen, and Tasmans Arch. The photos will explain the views, amazing. We then headed into Port Arthur historical site. Its Tazmania's premier tourist attraction and my highlight of the trip. Between 1830 and 1877, about 12,500 convicts served there sentances here. Because its a penisula it was impossible to escape, only a strip of land 100m wide connecting it to the mainland, which was guarded by ferocious dogs and prison guards. The historic township of Port Arthur became the centre of a network of penal stations but was more than just a prison town, with fine building and thriving industries built on convict labour, such as shipbuilding, coal mining, shoemaking, and brick and nail production. We had guided tours of the areas and visited the prison, luanatic asylum and hospital. This was all really cool, but the best was saved for the evening. We booked ourselves into a Ghost Tours of Port Arthur, and for me was spine-chilling! We set off at dusk, about 30 in the tour with one guide who had 3 lanterns. She gave two lanterns out to two blokes and told one to stay at the back and one to stay in the middle. She then looked at me. Shit! I had to carry the last lantern and stay at the front with her, which i thought was going to be the best place to be. I was wrong! We headed around Port Artur and everything was fine. We then got to the first building. Its the second most haunted house in Australia and we actually walked in it during the day and there was a funny feeling in there. The guide then looked at me and said "Phil", my arse twitched. She told me to head up the pathway, about 50 yards away from the group and knock on the door and ask if anyone was in. Up i went, nervously, knocked 3 times and asked if anyone was in, thankfully there was no answer! She then shouted at me from down the pathway and told me to open the door and see if anyone was in. I pushed open the door and shone up my lantern into the dark house and told her no one was in. She said "good, well you can go in then, turn left into the first room and place your lantern on the floor", i was shitting it! I had 30 people all laughing at me as a walked into the second most haunted house in Oz, all on my own. I was only in there about a minute on my own waiting for the tour to come up the path but it felt like an hour! We stayed in there and heard a few stories then moved on to the surgeons house. I thought i was safe now as i'd done one house on my own so thought she'd pick on someone else. No such luck! She looked at me again, "Phil", i thought oh no not again! She said "you'll be glad to know your not going into this house", relief, my bum stopped twitching until she said after a pause, "you'll be going under it". I was now at the stage of needing new underwear, holy fucky-doodle-doo. She told me to walk down the steps towards the basement, open the door and walk to the far end of the passageway, about a 10 metre walk. I went down the steps and into the basement, stopped briefly but i didn"t lose face! I couldn't, i had 30 people there, and loads of lovely looking ladies and didn't want to look like a wuss! I reluctantly walked down the passageway out of sight of the group and was there all by myself but my lantern! I waited there then for the rest of the group and again felt like and age for them to join me. We heard a few stories again and was very erie. That was pretty much all i was made to do, and although i hated every minute of it, it made the ghost tour my highlight of Taz. The guide told me after that she was very surprised i went into the surgeons house on my own. She said she's had grown men refusing to enter the basement on there own without someone with them. I felt good after her saying that and was telling all the girls how macho i was whilst pushing out my chest! Good job they couldn't smell fear, or my pants!
The next two days we travelled up the east coast and into Launceston where we had to catch our flight back to Melbourne. We went to the bay of fires, a long stretch of beach on the east coast, which only reminded me of Par beach Was really cloudy and cold which made it feel more like it! Also went to Cataract Gorge in Launceston, where near vertical cliffs line the banks of the South Esk River. Really cool area and lovely views down the river
Overall Tazmania was a good place to visit it was good to get away from city life for a few days. It was a bit non-stop as we only had 5 full days, and maybe would be good to chill a bit more in each place and take our time. But glad i've been there and can now cross it off my list of things to do in Oz. Well hope everyone has enjoyed my blog, sorry it was such a long one but wanted to let you all know exactly what i've been up to. Hope you enjoy the photos, theres a few of them! Phil x


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

In Platapus worldIn Platapus world
In Platapus world

Some reason they didn't enjoy my puppet show :-(
The rain beginsThe rain begins
The rain begins

Starts to rain and fog sets in as we get to the beautiful national parks!


24th January 2007

Well done with the haunted house-I'll book you in for the next series of Most Haunted!!
30th January 2007

Im frezzing!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you are having an amazing time over there, im so jealous! You where mad going in the haunted house I would of shit my self and I can watch "Saw" un-like some people! ha ha Keep having loads of fun! x

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb