The Beach is on Fire...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
December 11th 2006
Published: December 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Scamander...
On the way to the coast, fires had started to burn in the bush at the back of St Marys. As our visit continued and the weather got hotter, winds increased and for the first time, townships along the way to the coast were starting to look like they were in the fire’s path. We started Monday with a fantastic Devonshire tea at Eureka Farm, filled the car with raspberries and set off for Launceston. By the time we reached St Marys the smoke was dangerously close to the road. Fire trucks were belting in the opposite direction - all a bit scary really but quietly reassuring we were not going the same way as them of course. By that evening, St Marys Pass was closed to all traffic as the fires had jumped the road and were heading for the coast. The next day they had reached Scamander, and stopped just short of the shack, destroying over a dozen houses in their path.
It’s hard to believe that less than 24 hours after we were scoffing scones and tea, the people of Eureka farm were running from the fire. While they have lost all the orchards and berries, their house and shop are still there so hopefully they will be resuming Devonshire tea service very soon - as well as their wonderful jams (what’s left of them of course). I realize during this difficult time it’s maybe a bit selfish to be thinking only of one’s stomach but I really can’t help it, the Devonshire teas, jams, sauces and relishes are absolutely divine. For all our concerned friends who called starting at the early hours (I was used to waking up at 6.30am anyway) I can assure you we made it out safe and sound - with a car full of raspberries for good measure and in case of any resulting survival situation we may have found ourselves in.
The fires are continuing and the residents of the coast (and everyone in South Eastern Australia for that matter) are praying for cooler temperatures, less wind and with a bit of luck, some rain. With so much of summer to go I think it’s going to be more important than ever to be prepared for anything…
Follow fire prevention plans to the letter - keep gutters clean and tanks full of water and remove big knickers from the clothesline in case of unexpected media coverage.
If a firetruck is going in the opposite direction at great speed, keep going, you’re going the right way.
If you have the chance to have a Devonshire tea and/or icecream, always say yes - you never know when (or where) the next one will be.
Always say yes when the dog wants a walk - you’re not going to get back to sleep anyway.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb