Mount Arthur - top of the world!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
December 4th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well at 1187m (just 400m short of Tasmania's highest peak - Mt Ossa) and the biggest mountain around it certainly felt like it as Dad and I set out at 6am this morning. Although not mentioned here: http://www.answers.com/topic/tasmania it is still pretty significant as much of the early logging of the mountain helped build the city of Launceston.
Our Milford Track joining instructions advise some walking beforehand to get used to hours of walking at a time, so we figured Mt Arthur might be a good practice walk. We were greeted by a very friendly horse at the “parking area” who seemed to be in charge and very keen to make friends (and with a bit of luck hopefully dislodge the carefully packed hay on our side of the fence and pass it to him). The base advised it was a 5 hour round trip. It took us 1 hour 40 minutes to climb and nearly 2 hours to get back via “other” tracks. The views from the top were amazing and I realised it is the only mountain in the world I can stand at the top and honestly say: “I can see my house from here!”. It was very cool being able to see the vineyard, Brown Mountain and also Ben’s vineyard and all the way across to the Western Tiers. Northern Tasmania has been plagued with bush fires in the last few weeks but they are mainly gone and we now have our beautiful clear skies again.
Such a shame some people had vandalized the top where there used to be a fire spotting station and also the solar panels used for Tasmania Service Fire Service. I mean, who climbs for nearly 2 hours to break windows and generally wreck stuff - stuff that is in place to save people’s homes and lives? Get a job, I say! We were a bit exhausted for anything like that and managed a few photos, our apples, some water and headed back down - purposely (?) choosing a different route to make it all a bit more exciting.
In the spirit of the great arctic explorer Amundsen, while enjoying the experience, I would also like to note certain lessons learned:
Walking boots and walking pants excellent. Make sure boots are done up properly with double knots. ¾ length pants not advisable in dry Australian bush especially when not on marked track
Wicking top fantastic and breathable
Water essential
Fully charged camera battery essential (where is my charger??)
Dorothy the Dinosaur plasters, despite their casual appearance, are very durable.
Arnotts Teddy Bear biscuits and excellent post-walk snack. In fact, a good all-round snack for every occasion
Cake after any physical exertion should be made compulsory
Don't put a tissue through the wash





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb