East Coast and Launceston


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
September 7th 2018
Published: March 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We took our time getting up today as we were heading over to the Mount Elephant Pancakes Shop which like alot of places in Tasmania don't open till 10.00am. It's a little out of our way, in fact we are going backwards but one of Katies clients highly recommended it.

We had a chance to look around the caravan park here at Scamander and spied a few glamping tents. We agreed we are so trying these mini palaces next time. The owner was saying they intend to expand further up the hill and put in quite a few more as they should be popular.

Nice trip up the range through to St. Marys. And the food at Mount Elephant Pancakes was totally worth the trip. Quite a quirky place, in a good way. We were the only ones there and had the place to ourselves. Plenty of memorabilia on the walls and great views. Very peaceful. I see it's up for sale and looks like it has been for a while.

Next we headed back through Scamander and onto Binalong Bay and Bay of Fires.

It's the sort of country that you want to spend time relaxing and doing nothing. Very restorative with the fresh sea breezes and the hills up behind the coast. Next time!

Another one of Katies clients mentioned the carved trees at Legerwood. They were trees originally planted to commemorate the fallen soldiers from the area in WW1. After many decades the trees themselves were staring to die off, so they got a wood carver in and he's made the most impressive works of art depicting the solders and their lives and all he used was a chain saw. Incredible workmanship.

It was early evening by the time we got to Launceston, a English looking town in the north of Tassie.

The caravan park was the largest we came across, very clean, neat and friendly. I can imagine it'd get very busy in the peak times.

We have arranged to meet up with some old friends from Brisbane who moved to Evandale and few years ago. Apart from trusting Yolla who got us lost (again) ( new roundabout not on the GPS yet!) we had a pleasant home cooked meal and a few wines. Thanks Kerry & Ian.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Just another fantastic breakfastJust another fantastic breakfast
Just another fantastic breakfast

Mount Elephant Pancake Barn
Havin' a chatHavin' a chat
Havin' a chat

I saw this out of the corner of my eye, and just had to return
Have a chatHave a chat
Have a chat

There was a border collie one the other side just before we pulled up. Would have made a great pic.
Bay of FiresBay of Fires
Bay of Fires

Looking south
Bay of FiresBay of Fires
Bay of Fires

Looking north
Tassie Mail BoxesTassie Mail Boxes
Tassie Mail Boxes

I think there should be a coffee table book just on the Mailboxes of Tasmania


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb