Arrival in Tassie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Tasman Peninsula
August 31st 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We drove down to Tasman Peninsula and the scenery is absolutely amazing. Every five minutes you are hit with a beautiful inlet or lake or view of a mountain.

We went for a drive down the coast and stopped at a little carpark where you can walk along the sea front towards the tessellated pavement - because of earth movements the rocks forming the sea front appear tessellated - as if they are tiled - by a giant! The flatness of the pavement is due to erosion by waves and by chemical action of sea water. Tasman's Arch further down the road is a natural arch which is really a cave that broke into a tunnel due to the waves. The roof at the landward end of the tunnel has collapsed but the hole is too large and the sides are too high to form a blowhole. On the same walk you see the 60 metres deep Devil's Kitchen which has been formed by a similar process to that which has created Tasman's Arch. Basically, if Tasman's Arch collapsed, it would lead to a landform like Devil’s Kitchen.

The rocks in which the Blowhole, Tasman's Arch and the Devils Kitchen occur are permian in age (about 250 million years old) and were deposited as silt and sand on the floor of a shallow sea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb