7 November 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Stanley
November 7th 2012
Published: November 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we headed west across Tassie's top end to the historic village of Stanley. Any visitor from the UK would have felt right at home in this neck of the woods with the cool air, grey skies and rolling green hills and paddocks. The purpose of the drive was to see 'The Nut', an ancient volcanic plug.

On the outskirts of Stanley there were incredible views of The Nut. We soon moved to the base and decided to take the hike up and around this distinctive formation. There was no easing into it as the path took us up incredibly steep inclines from the get go.

The energy spent making it to the top, and not taking the easy option of the chairlift, was well worth it as there was a panorama of the surrounding areas over Stanley. We saw wallabies on our way around the top loop and two were in the middle of fisty cuffs as we walked past and our presence did not alter their dispute one bit.

After walking down The Nut we had lunch on the foreshore and checked into the local caravan park. We then took a stroll around the township which possessed gorgeous old houses and there appeared to be a concerted effort taken over the years to restore these older homes to the glory of yesteryear.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.8kb