Mt William National Park (21-22 December)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Mount William
December 25th 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Launceston on Sunday morning via the Northeast Trail, stopping briefly near Lilydale for a short walk to Lilydale Falls. We continued on to Scottsdale, stopping only at the Visitor Centre, and then to Derby, where we had lunch on the banks of the Ringarooma River. Near here we left the Northeast Trail and headed north towards Gladstone, having a brief look at Blue Lake. We then went to Mt William National Park, where we stayed for two nights at Stumpys Bay (campground No. 3). It was a lovely campsite situated just behind the dune and only metres from the ocean's edge. Unfortunately, it wasn't really swimming weather, although Annelies and Thomas made use of the white sandy beach.

The park is an important sanctuary for the Forester Kangaroo, which is the largest of Tasmania's marsupials and recognised as the Tasmanian subspecies of the Eastern Grey Kangaroo. They were plentiful in numbers and not at all shy, with several regularly wandering through our campsite. On Monday we walked to the top of Mt William, although the overcast and hazy conditions did not provide us with very good views. We then drove up to Musselroe Bay for lunch.

The next day we broke camp and headed south, but we first drove into Eddystone Point, still in Mt William NP but also near the northern end of the 'Bay of Fires'. We walked up to yet another lighthouse that provided us we good views of the surrounding coast and the Flinders Island group. We continued on southwards, stopping for lunch at Binalong Bay at the southern end of the Bay of Fires. Then it was into St Helens where we were spending 4 nights over Christmas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Stumpys BayStumpys Bay
Stumpys Bay

Campsite just over the dune to the left
Stumpys Bay lookoutStumpys Bay lookout
Stumpys Bay lookout

Overlooking Musselroe Bay & Flinders Island


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb