Tassie Adventure Part 7


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Mount Field
January 5th 2009
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post



Part 7


Tuesday 16th December 2008


Woke up very cold and wet. It had rained all night. Where was this Aussie summer weather I'd been promised.............


Drove to Mount Field National Park, getting supplies in a tiny village called Ouse on the way - tonight was the last supper before heading back to Hobart!



On the way to Mount Field we stopped at "Something Wild" wildlife rescue sanctuary which was very exciting!!! We saw Wombats, Roos, Koalas and the fierce little Tasmanian Devils - at last!! Cedric in particular was very excited about this and we were in that park hours!!!!


Was great to see all the animals that were actually getting ready to be released back into the wild. They had mostly been found as babies with their roadkill moms - some even still in the pouches.



After enquiring if it was ok for me to take Wongo the Wombat home and quite unreasonably, I think, being told in no uncertain terms that No that wasn't possible, we left and made our way to the last National Park of the trip - Mount Field.


When inside the park we did a nice relaxed walk to the Russell Falls and did the tall tree walk which was pretty cool - alot of those trees were around as far back as when Abel Tasman first visited Van Diemens Land (Tassie) apparently. So there you go - that was my fascinating fact for that day!! There were signs everywhere warning us to be careful of falling trees - just what precautions you can take against a giant tree falling on your head I don't know though.



We set up camp just outside the Park right next to a river, got a huge fire going and had a great last night - plenty of Goon (drunk from plastic bowls as we'd ran out of cups), sausages, kebabs, bananas with melted chocolate inside, marshmallows...it was quite a feast!!












Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb