Derwent Water, Mt Field National Park and back to Hobart


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Mount Field
September 13th 2018
Published: September 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

After a windy miserable night, the sun tried bravely to sneek through the drizzle.

We had a better look around the lodge at Lake St. Clair and wandered down to the lake which is at the southern end of the Overland Track.

Staff were very friendly and they had some great history up on the walls.

And speaking of walls, the first place on the agenda was to visit The Wall at Derwent Bridge. I wasn't too sure about this one when one of Katies clients mentioned it. It didn't seem to have many mentions in the tourist guides. But it bloody well should!! Simply amazing workmanship has gone into this living piece of art. I can only imagine the number of hours it takes to make a single artwork. Pity we can take no photos, but I have linked their website above.

A couple more hours down the road we went to Mt Field National Park. The day was on the dreary side and the cold was beginning to settle in. Great little walk here and good to see some of the re-vegetation works going on.

On the way to Mt Field we passed The Possum Shed at Westerway with an inviting sign out the front saying Home Made Soup with Crunchy Bread. Well of course we stopped in on the way back. Simply delicious, and followed up with some home made scones and local raspberry jam.



Another hour or so down the road we saw the sign for The Wicked Cheese Factory. We had previously seen it when we went to Richmond, and with a name like that you just knew we had to stock up on our dwindling stocks of cheese and goodies.

And from there it was a short run down to Hobart and back to the Big 4 Caravan Park. Where we started to do a few hours of washing.

While we were having a couple of ciders and cheese, we met the neighbours and ended up having a lovely evening with them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb