Eggs go Gourmet in Tassie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Launceston
February 9th 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As promised - a Gourmet blog outlining some of the delishamundo snacks we've been endulging in while here in Tasmania, or as Alan's started calling it 'Shazmania'. Sure there's a compliment in there somewhere (?!).

There's been chocolate factories, cheese factories, country pubs with ace lunches, mega breakfasts, classic coffees, special cakes, raspberry farms, wineries, smashing restaurants, fish n' chips by the water, lavendar farms, delicatessens with excellent meats, pies and sausages, and wonderful breweries. We've even found some Edinburgh Rock, and to our absolute delight....some Irn Bru!!!! Unfortunately the new jeans we bought in Sydney are now straining to the point of almost bursting.

In earnest, Tasmania is teaming with wonderful produce, so if you are a foodie, and in the Aussie area - we advise you to take a trip - you won't regret it. We're not going to rave on about it too much though, instead, here are some photo's of nice things we've enjoyed during our time here, along with a few snaps of the Tasmanian countryside which we love so much.

There's another Tassie blog coming soon. so we'll see you there.... Love, Alan and Shaz. xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Wines we sampled at the Moorilla Estate winery on the Tamar Valley wine routeWines we sampled at the Moorilla Estate winery on the Tamar Valley wine route
Wines we sampled at the Moorilla Estate winery on the Tamar Valley wine route

This winery is located in the top end of Tassie near to Launceston. The wine was lovely, but the guy who worked there was unfortunately as dry as an early Sauvignon Blanc. We did however buy some refreshingly light Pinot Gris.
Lavendar fieldsLavendar fields
Lavendar fields

This lavendar farm is located at Bridestowe near Scottsdale in the North of Tassie. It was really unusual, and sold a vast array of items and food related to the lavendar that they produce. We bought a weird lavendar ice cream, which Alan said he didn't enjoy despite the fact that he munched practially all of it.
Trays of newly made chocolateTrays of newly made chocolate
Trays of newly made chocolate

This was at a chocolate factory we visited near Devonport on the North coast. It smelled wonderful here.
Alan has a beautiful pino noir in 'Ursula's on Brisbane'Alan has a beautiful pino noir in 'Ursula's on Brisbane'
Alan has a beautiful pino noir in 'Ursula's on Brisbane'

Ursula's is a mega tapas bar in Launceston where the lamb chops were the best we've had for a long time. Very reasonably priced too.
Priscilla the alchoholic pigPriscilla the alchoholic pig
Priscilla the alchoholic pig

Here's a bizarre one; this pig, who's a resident at the 'Pub in the Paddock' near St Helens just off the North East coast, insists on having pints of Boag's beer every day. The animal welfare dudes have been doing their dinger about this for some years now and the pub owners have been trying to wean Priscilla off by diluting the lager that they give her. However she's having none of it and won't eat properly unless she gets her daily booze up. Sounds familiar.
Moorilla WineryMoorilla Winery
Moorilla Winery

The red church-like building at the top of the picture is the wine tasting area and shop where the dour guy worked.
Outsie of Boag's Brewery in LauncestonOutsie of Boag's Brewery in Launceston
Outsie of Boag's Brewery in Launceston

The North make and favour Boag's beer, and in the South (Hobart) it's Cascade. James Boag was a settler who was originally from Paisley - imagine!
Outside of BoagOutside of Boag
Outside of Boag

We took a tour of the brewery one morning at 9am - at 9:30am we were sampling the lager. We certainly had a cheerful morning, put it that way.
See You Jimmy!!!See You Jimmy!!!
See You Jimmy!!!

Shaz in the Scottish shop in Ross, lookin' beaurriful!
Alan, Irn Bru and DotAlan, Irn Bru and Dot
Alan, Irn Bru and Dot

Dot is originally from Byers Road in Glasgow, and moved to Tassie a number of years ago and now runs the Scottish shop in Ross. She was a lovely lady and we chatted with her for ages.
Hay balesHay bales
Hay bales

It seemed like the harvesting had just been done as there was a lot of hay bales abound in the fields
Wheat HengeWheat Henge
Wheat Henge

There's a farmer guy who does different sculptures every year with his wheat bales. This year he has created a Stonehenge type affair and a huge pyramid too.


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 22; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb