Islington Hotel


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart » Lenah Valley
December 7th 2011
Published: February 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Islington is a very special, small, luxe hotel in Hobart with a long history and a large and delightful garden, affording unique and stunning views of Mount Wellington. Decorated with fine art and furnished with antiques, Islington appeals to those who desire the very best in life, surrounded by personalised service, presented in an atmosphere of serenity, luxury and tranquillity.

Built in 1847, Islington is an outstanding example of Regency architecture recently restored to showcase the property’s original glory and up-dated to include the little necessities and amenities our forebears over-looked, such as a glass enclosed mountain-view pavilion and a cellar stocked with the finest Tasmanian wine. Islington, built in Regency style in 1847, was one of the first houses built in the dress circle of Hobart and earned its current name around 1899. Davey Street to which the property fronts was formerly known as "Holebrook Place" - an exclusive address in the class conscious Hobart town of the period. Interestingly, it was built by a hotel owner and over the years has been leased to a number of very prominent and dignified tenants. Then, as now, it has one of the most prime views of Mt Wellington that Hobart can offer.The library houses a collection of works of Louisa Anne Meredith, an early settler who wrote of the colony and drew the local flora and fauna. An ancestor of the present owner Louisa Ann remains a prime influencer on the house and its contents. With its acre of garden, its history, art and luxury, Islington is fittingly continuing in the direction its original owner, Sarah Hodgson, intended.

Read more: http://www.islingtonhotel.com/


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb