Freycinet Peninsular


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Freycinet
August 7th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

What a great couple of weeks we have had !!

Last weekend, Marcus (best man) and Sharon came to stay for the weekend. Saturday, we went out around Hobart. We went to Salamanca Market and bought a sausage from one of the stalls. We walked around a bit, chatted lots in the glorious sunshine and then went to a friend’s house for a curry and some wine.

Sunday, we went to help Jen with the house and children - as Andrew had a bit of an accident and was in hospital with a damaged leg. He is ok now but obviously it was difficult for Jen - and the children were sick. Whilst we were there, Ivor, Marcus and Sharon had great fun setting up a golf course on their land - Ivor has even become a little obsessed with it!!!!- thinking about the holes and what containers to use.........

After a few hours we nipped out for tea, in Salamanca Place, before Marcus and Sharon caught the plane home.

The weekend before, we went to The Freycinet Peninsular and did a huge walk with back-packs. On the Friday night we stayed at the Freycinet Lodge (Ivor’s birthday) -that was really great. I had even managed to persuade the staff to pretend that we were not booked in - it almost fooled Ivor. (Earlier that day - I had snuck home from school to decorate the house which really did take him by surprise!!)

The Saturday, we walked to a campsite where we set up our little tent. On the way there we saw the most amazing sight -in the sea. There were hundreds of dolphins leaping right out of the water just near the beach where we were walking. Both Ivor and I were completely mesmorised by it. I have certainly never seen anything like that before in my life.

The weather had been fantastic all day but just as we attempted to put up the tent - strong wind and rain started!! Fortunately, it only lasted the time we took to try and put-up the tent. We found an old hut near the site, that had been built in the 1800s, and we considered sleeping in there but I thought that it was far too scary to sleep in and it reminded me of “The Blair Witch Project”. It was also full of spiders' cobwebs and I didn't want a huntsman anywhere near me (see previous entry) Later, we walked along the beach and had a glass of wine (Ivor had snuck it into his rucksack). We ended up going to bed about 7,15pm and playing “20 questions” as it was too dark to do anything else. The temperature was surprisingly warm - especially as it is supposed to be the middle of winter.

We both had a great night's sleep and awoke reasonably early to sunshine streaming into the tent. We got up, washed in the sea and having had some breakfast - put on our backpacks to start the 7 hour walk over to Wineglass Bay via Mount Amos. The weather was once again glorious and the views and scenery were phenomenal.

By the time we reached Wineglass Bay, we were both exhausted and desperate to get back to the car. When we finally reached the car, we drove the 3hrs home and had a great Thai takeaway in our cosy little house.

School is still great and only 4 weeks until the hols...................


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



21st August 2006

*phew*
I'm shattered reading the entry - hope you're not expecting me to do anything so energetic!! (Though John would do it happily!!) I'll take Josh shopping whilst you three go off and commune with nature and the spiders. *shudder* love Big Sis xx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb