To Bruny Island and back


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bruny Island
January 4th 2023
Published: January 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The window was tight today. Hobart to Bruny Island and back, before the Kona hire expires at 2pm.

And we nailed it!!

Up at 7am.

Bagels-to-go and on the road by 7.30.

We’d been warned of the Bruny Island car ferry queues and lonely planet lists travel time as 1hr 45min from Hobart to South Bruny, Google concurred. A pandemic induced hire car shortage had lead to a price spike and we had the Kona until 2pm and wanted to use it.

We’d rightly bumped Bruny Island forward a day to allow our Hartz Mountain trek but still wanted to get down there.

It’s only a 35 minute drive to Kettering but the ferry could be 20 minutes or it could be an hour! If the Kona isn't returned to Hobart depot by 2pm it's an extra $250.

Traffic is light and the drive to Kettering is pleasant enough. We join the queue and look set for the 8.40 ferry in row 2, three cars from the front - it's looking good! And then, the queue dude places a witches hat in the front of our car to show where the first car of the 9.00 ferry starts. Noooooo!!!!

The ferry fills up and it’s looking grim. My cheeky witches hat banter with the queue dude has to help, we’re so close. The silver Toyota we followed down to Bruny is on. Queue dude is chatting with the ferry guy, I have my arm out the window waving and clicking my fingers, desperate for his attention. He scans the remaining vehicles and walks towards us. He’s either coming to apologise or to move the witches hat behind us. He gives a cheeky smile and grabs the witches hat. We’re on!!!

Our little Kona squeezes on to the back of the ferry, the ramp/drawbridge raises and we’re off to Bruny, bang on schedule.

Running out of superlatives for how gorgeous Tasmania is and Bruny only confirms it. We drive along the 5 km long Sandy isthmus called The Neck and stop at Adventure Bay Beach. Another stunning beach with little barrels of crystal clear water crashing on a white sandy beach.

We lack enough time for a beach/cliff walk and settle for a workout/giggle in the local playground/exercise park. So fun. So funny!

We return to The Neck, climb the steps to view the contrasting surf beach and calm beach - split by the 50 metre wide neck. Black swans chill on the calm side and mutton birds (and penguins) share nests on the surf side.

We stop off at a local chocolate shop on our way back to sample the Cheese-Bread-Beer. The four of us share a board of local cheese, bread, pickles and beetroot and three of us share a paddle of beers. Delightful!!

The 12.30 ferry would allow a relaxing drive back to Hobart for 2pm. A later ferry would cause a stressful drive back and risks another $250. That's 25 pints of delicious Tasmanian Pale Ales!

We descend to the road to the harbour (80 in a 40 zone) and we literally drive onto the ferry without even stopping the car. Nailed it!

Fuel up on the road back to Hobart and drop off the Kona with 40 minutes to spare. 45 litres of unleaded for 65 kms driven - not bad!

Millsy had a chocolate factory she wanted to check out. In keeping with todays “nailing it” theme, it was only a block from the Budget depot. Alas, it was closed this week.

We found a record store for Deaks to browse and the laneway beside it lead into an oasis of cool known as In the Hanging Garden. A maze of alleys and lanes turfed and planted with trees and adorned with hanging baskets of plants and flowers. Live music, street food, cocktails and good vibes. What a hidden gem!

A sneaky afternoon nap and games of Nine Man Morris before we take a stroll up to North Hobart. Less than a block up Elizabeth St from our 3 star hotel are a row of cool bars and restaurants. Hipsters drinking craft beer and playing Jenga on the footpath tables. A few blocks further we’re in North Hobart proper. More restaurants and bars. 7pm on a Thursday and most places are pretty full with locals. The Japanese restaurant across from our hotel ends our hour long walk.

We are right across the street from The New Sydney Hotel, declared by some as Hobart’s best pub. We should probably pop down for a drink, but….we chill, read, chat and play Nine Man Morris. For the record, I beat Milla, Milla beat Deaks and Deaks flogged me in a humiliating final match for the day. Last full day tomorrow, bring it on!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.394s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb